Firestorm Troubleshooting - Anybody else going through the same?

G3orginaRos3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1824 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi Everybody:

So this started to happen yesterday, when I log in. Everything is crazy pixelated in multicolored segments, even my avatar. I checked the outside of my home and it seems like some

things are rezzing normally but not everything! I gave it time too and it didn't change back to normal. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 8.02.50 AM.png

8 answers to this question

6 hours ago, G3orginaRos3 said:

Hi Everybody:

So this started to happen yesterday, when I log in. Everything is crazy pixelated in multicolored segments, even my avatar. I checked the outside of my home and it seems like some

things are rezzing normally but not everything! I gave it time too and it didn't change back to normal. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 8.02.50 AM.png

cache corruption

If it goes away with a relog iot is the textures stored in your GPU

If it stays after a relog your texture cache on the disk got corrupted.

Yup, cache corruption, but not quite the way Fiona says.

The cache is a place on your hard drive where your viewer stores textures that it downloads so that items and people can rez faster when you look at them a second time.

Usually all goes well, but sometimes this cache can get damaged for a wide variety of reasons and the result are multicolored textures on some (or all) in-world objects. This is harmless but is a bit annoying and looks weird.

The solution is to simply clear your cache so that the textures get downloaded again. That is all there is to it. :-)

Edited by Fritigern Gothly

1 hour ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Yup, cache corruption, but not quite the way Fiona says.

The cache is a place on your hard drive where your viewer stores textures that it downloads so that items and people can rez faster when you look at them a second time.

Usually all goes well, but sometimes this cache can get damaged for a wide variety of reasons and the result are multicolored textures on some (or all) in-world objects. This is harmless but is a bit annoying and looks weird.

The solution is to simply clear your cache so that the textures get downloaded again. That is all there is to it. :-)

Thank you Fionalein and Fritigern for your help and explanation. To dbl check, I relogged to see if the problem was still there, it is. So I went into Library>Caches>SecondLife>Texturecache  and deleted all the texture and proceeded to do the same in the objectcache folder.

Problem is still there. So now, in the event I have to clear the cache folder, how do I determine which folders to clear? I'm not computer savvy in that way. I don't want to delete something that a program or an app needs.

Did you restart your computer since? Win 8 and 10 usually do no real power downs anymore - you might have to look that up how to do that if it is some driver induced GPU memory corruption.

While I have no idea where firestorm disc cache files actually reside in win - you only need to delete texture cache folder unless object geometry is broken too,..

For tech help on FS try the inworld Firestorm tech support group - they should be able to walk you through the process (log in with another viewer so you are free to delete stuff in FS whole people give you support)

Edited by Fionalein

Could be the pipelining issue. I remember some AV software, like webroot was causing it. See here: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/webroot

You may want to check your firestorm log (original location is in c/users/username/appdata/roaming/firestorm_x64/logs. Log named firestorm.txt is the one you should check, inside search for something like: HTTP pipelining possibly out of sync . If you have a lot of them, then it's most definitely the case. Then you may want to reboot PC, router/modem, look if you're using said webroot, possibly whitelist everything firestorm related in your AV (including cache).

Both the Firestorm and Linden SL Viewers have a button in Preferences that will clear the cache. FS = Preferences->Network & Files-> Directories (tab)-> Clear Cache (button).

Clearing cache is a last resort sort of thing. Avoid it when possible. But, it is easier than replacing the video driver which also may be the problem. Some video drivers have a problem that presents as rainbow colors.

As Steel wrote Anti-virus can sometimes create a similar problem.

Do the easy stuff first. So, before doing all these things I would launch another brand of viewer and see if I had the same problem. These days all viewers use separate caches. So, switching viewers eliminates lots of possibilities and pins the problem on others. Having a second one installed all the time makes these tests quick and easy.

When you ask a question like this provide your computer information from the viewer's Help->About... Paste that info with your question.

3 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Both the Firestorm and Linden SL Viewers have a button in Preferences that will clear the cache. FS = Preferences->Network & Files-> Directories (tab)-> Clear Cache (button).

Clearing cache is a last resort sort of thing. Avoid it when possible. But, it is easier than replacing the video driver which also may be the problem. Some video drivers have a problem that presents as rainbow colors.

As Steel wrote Anti-virus can sometimes create a similar problem.

Do the easy stuff first. So, before doing all these things I would launch another brand of viewer and see if I had the same problem. These days all viewers use separate caches. So, switching viewers eliminates lots of possibilities and pins the problem on others. Having a second one installed all the time makes these tests quick and easy.

When you ask a question like this provide your computer information from the viewer's Help->About... Paste that info with your question.

Clearing the cache in firestorm worked! Thank you Nalates and thank you again everybody for helping me out. Now I can go see the SL 16 Year Celebration Area.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1824 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.