The infamous match has apparently lost its claim to fame

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1777 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Unless the onus is put squarely on the people uploading the content, we're never going to see any progress as it's easy to just pass the buck.

End customers should see one value for rezzed stuiff, Li.

The scaling of Li with an objects size only really exists because of the huge bounding box tricks used to overcook sculpts.

On 6/14/2019 at 1:29 AM, CoffeeDujour said:

Unless the onus is put squarely on the people uploading the content, we're never going to see any progress as it's easy to just pass the buck.

End customers should see one value for rezzed stuiff, Li.

The scaling of Li with an objects size only really exists because of the huge bounding box tricks used to overcook sculpts.

I thought it existed because the larger mesh content is, the greater the distance it holds its higher LOD.

In any case, I agree that pressure needs to be put on the people uploading the mesh content. Like I keep saying, there needs to be hard caps on avatar resources and some sort of penalty for overusing texture memory on all content or most content creators will never optimize their creations. In an ideal world, these caps would have been in place right from day one. but they weren't and LL has kicked that can down the road for nearly 20 years now. They still need to implement it, all I'm saying is that they now need to do more work now to smooth that transition and prevent a user revolt. More education, better tools, actual communication and leading by example, as well as finding ways to work in these new caps without instantly tossing all of the content people are using right now.

Before they do any of this, I think LL needs to hire people who actually understand these problems because I'm pretty sure at least those making the decisions at LL don't. Which is what happens when you only hire programmers to develop something like SL. You need people who understand asset creation, game design, social network platforms, etc. You wouldn't hire an aircraft engineer to fly a plane, you'd hire a pilot. You wouldn't send a plane design to the factory for mass production if it was never tested by pilots who'd then give feedback to the engineers. LL is all engineers and no pilots and they don't seem to see the problem with that.

• Like 1

Ebbe in his NWN video interview made it pretty darn clear that The Lab is continuing to take a hands off approach on mesh uploading,  expecting the consumers to balance the scales by not purchasing "heavy mesh". Since most consumers don't understand the difference between "game asset" and "render" mesh let alone the uploading process it is very unlikely that there will be enough consumers to make a dent in the growing stream of "render mesh" that is coming into SL (this from many of the most well-known creators). Alas.

Also, according to Inara Pey's report of March 21, ARCTan is stalled (if not dead in the water). I don't see things changing except on a very small scale -- from both designers and consumers that have taken the time to learn and understand the issues. 

image.png.d932492a50696a07d98de6466cf643bf.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/14/2019 at 7:29 AM, CoffeeDujour said:

12 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

I thought it existed because the larger mesh content is, the greater the distance it holds its higher LOD.

Penny is right here. The LI/size issue only really applies to meshes, not sculpts, although very small sculpts have slightly lower download weight than larger ones.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1777 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.