Marketplace pictures

luna Lafleur

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

I went to your Marketplace page and actually your photos are pretty clear. The uploader resamples all photos and they end up LESS clear for everyone.   Best to make one of the default sizes (700 x 525 or 612 x 512) and then SHARPEN before uploading.

But your real issue IMO is that your vendor photos are too busy. You have nice photos of your product but have then cut them out and put them on top of a busy background, then added text (some of which I can't read at all because it is on top of other things). 

Look at some of the top brands and see what they are doing. Most clothing  photos are taken on a plain background color (no cutting and pasting) and then the TEXT is put on the background area -- not over the product.  

Here is an example (taken from my inventory but not mine :D obviously). If that isn't OK the moderator can delete.  This is 512 x 512. See how well you can see the PRODUCT?  Not a lot of clutter in the way. 

428634902_Baiastice_Candyoutfit.thumb.png.4ca869f09bfae83ac4403a7e3a6d489f.png

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I went to your Marketplace page and actually your photos are pretty clear. The uploader resamples all photos and they end up LESS clear for everyone.   Best to make one of the default sizes (700 x 525 or 612 x 512) and then SHARPEN before uploading.

But your real issue IMO is that your vendor photos are too busy. You have nice photos of your product but have then cut them out and put them on top of a busy background, then added text (some of which I can't read at all because it is on top of other things). 

Look at some of the top brands and see what they are doing. Most clothing  photos are taken on a plain background color (no cutting and pasting) and then the TEXT is put on the background area -- not over the product.  

Here is an example (taken from my inventory but not mine :D obviously). If that isn't OK the moderator can delete.  This is 512 x 512. See how well you can see the PRODUCT?  Not a lot of clutter in the way. 

428634902_Baiastice_Candyoutfit.thumb.png.4ca869f09bfae83ac4403a7e3a6d489f.png

what you do not see is that behind that red dress she is carrying a gun and going to shoot you if you don't buy it :P joking and Sissy the creator loves me. What Chic said @luna Lafleur less is more, make it very clear what is being sold, a lot of the other bits and pieces can  confuse people. I know personally that I often want everything I see in a tattoo ad and then realise that it is an ad for a tattoo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

I know personally that I often want everything I see in a tattoo ad and then realise that it is an ad for a tattoo. 

I SOOOOOOO hate that. Imagine folks that BOUGHT that "top" or "necklace" or "hair" and  find it was really the PIERCING that was the product :D

I hate to admit it but I did something like that the other day. There was a lovely display for a backdrop. Silly me, I thought that the demo was actually the product. Since it was a VENDOR which gave you no hint or info what you were actually buying, I spent more than I would have on just a piece of what I thought I was buying.  (sigh). I can't remember the last time I did that -- maybe I never did, but that is the main reason I have never used the popular vendors. If folks buy a copy of an item, they know EXACTLY what they are getting. And even with a prim vendor you can see all the contents in the package (hopefully - there are ways to cheat on that too).  

But like with both ART and ADVERTISING (and vendor photos are a bit of each) "white space" is a key component. Most of my vendors now have JUST a photo of the product (sometimes in the environment, sometimes on a black background) and my logo. I think hard before I add any extra text. 

• Like 1

Use a plain backdrop. Make sure the image has good white balance. Don't clutter up the image with text. Let us see the product clearly. There may be other pictures, but always have one that just shows exactly what you get.

• Like 1

Also, avoid uploading JPG images. Use TGA or PNG.

As Chic pointed out... get the sizes right. What you upload to the MP and what you upload to SL require different sizes. SL sizes need to be power of 2 sizes, 256x256, 512x1024, 1024x1024, etc. Do your sizing in PS or GIMP. When the images are resized by the SL/MP upload process they aren't so great.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.