Where

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Rigging_Fitted_Mesh

has the less than helpful instructions

"Follow one of the many tutorials for rigging avatars in your modeling program of choice. (Where?)

which suggests the tutorials at https://www.youtube.com/user/ashasekayi#grid/user/11D6E99BB51A2BB2

which require OBJ export, a feature removed from viewers at LL insistence.

So where are valid instructions for making rigged clothing?

Edited by animats

Hm. What I'm really trying to do is this.

I have an purchased animesh character. I want to attach a waitress-type tray to the right hand. Animesh cannot use attachments, of course. So this has to be done by linking a rigged tray object to the animesh object.

I don't have Blender files for the character. But it's a standard bento skeleton, according to the creator.

How to approach this?

There is this on the wiki, but it aappears to be pre bento

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Rigging_Fitted_Mesh

NqRxtXc.png

There is the bento page ... that helpfully states one of the dae files is broken 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Project_Bento_Resources_and_Information

I really have no idea.. this is coming up pretty high on my todo list, so I would also be very interested in any actual up to date guides that preferably don't involve Maya or a 3rd party commercial plugin for blender.

It is possible to get the free Workbench avatar model from Machinimatrix.org. This is the model of the SL avatar based on what is built into the SL viewer. It is the best model of the SL avatar that I know of. In 2012 or so I wrote a tutorial for making mesh clothes. At the time there was copious confusion about which model of the available avatar models was best and closest to the SL System Avatar. I compared them all, almost vertex-by-vertex. The workbench is the closest and easiest to get into a usable state. The SL files provided by the Lab for the model are great and the standard for the classic avatar. But, you gotta set them up in Blender and that is where problems start. The classic avatar uses morphing. Rigged bodies using the 'fitted bones' that allow scaling based on vertex weights never matches the size changes from morphing. Thus the departure into mesh bodies for better fitting clothes.

But, you do not have to buy AvaStar just to make a rigged tray.

You will find, or in your case have likely found, that there are a number of Blender to SL gotchas. They can all be worked around as you learn what they are and how to compensate for them. I used to do plain Blender. It becomes tedious.

When the mesh bodies came along the developers began making Dev Kits designed to work with Blender-AvaStar. The current state of affairs is such that if you work with mesh bodies, fitted clothes, and/or animation of the SL avatar it is far FAR less tedious to just buy AvaStar and avoid the pain. But, Gaia is generous and provides the base model used in AvaStar for free. Besides, the real time savings is in the AvaStar code and that is what I am paying for. To rig a tray for an Animesh NPC this is all overkill.

waitresstest01.jpg.f58a094800c3311a0a04ab2bc0146c6a.jpg

Got it! Thanks, everyone. It's not that hard, just badly documented.

I left this sports bar waitress running in Animesh1 on the beta grid. If you visit Animesh1, she'll find you and say hello. She won't bring you a beer. Not yet. Notes on further work here. Working to get the land impact down and have more clothing options.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.