Rental Box/Meter Script-Group

Amberlynn Pexie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

I looked for an answer to my own question for a while -- If i missed it somewhere.. please do not be upset! -- Just link me the solution or whatever  : )

I am trying to find out if there is a way to bypass the SmartBots subscription by making my own script for a rental meter that will automatically invite to the land group upon paying the rental box

ofc, if there is not an option to do this I will go the SmartBots route-- just looking for the cheapest way

Any advice or answers greatly appreciated!

You could make your own bot to do what the SmartBots do, but that's not a problem in LSL scripting. Unfortunately, there's no function for LSL scripts themselves to send an invitation to an invite-only group. It can certainly provide a clickable link to an open group, but that's not the kind of group typically used for rentals.

[ETA: Since Kyrah beat me to the submit button by a few seconds, I'll ramble further: Although it's still easier to use invite-only groups, it's a little more practical than it used to be to use an open group instead because you can now use llReturnObjectsByOwner (in conjunction with llGetParcelPrimOwners) to clear out junk from group-joiners who aren't authorized as a renter (or authorized by a renter). I don't know if anybody actually does this, but I think it's a possible approach.]

Edited by Qie Niangao

Thank you so so much to both of you! This cleared up a huge headache that I've been having for MONTHS. haha

Going back to what Kyrah Abattoir said -- Do you mean that once rental box/meter is paid... the script can IM the tenant automatically with a message including the group link?

5 hours ago, Amberlynn Pexie said:

Do you mean that once rental box/meter is paid... the script can IM the tenant automatically with a message including the group link?

That much is easy, since it's really just a matter of grabbing the group's profile URL and stuffing it into an IM.  It probably won't help you, though, because a rental group is almost certainly going to be by invitation only.  Your script can't offer the invitation, and your tenants won't be able to join from the group's profile page without it. The best you can do is have the rent box send you an IM/e-mail to alert you that you have a new tenant.  That's what my rental boxes do.  If you pay attention to your incoming messages, you can send the invitation yourself fairly soon.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.