I want to Upgrade the size of Land I own, do I abandon the one I have?

shieron

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1931 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

10 answers to this question

Don't abandon the current parcel until you are at the end of the period that you have already paid for.  You won't get a refund. 

Pam's point was that if you are on a private estate, it doesn't make any difference whether you buy more land before you abandon the old land or not.  You are paying the landowner either way, since there is no concept of tier in private estates.

If you are on the Mainland, where there is a concept of tier, just remember that you pay for the largest amount of land that you own during the billable period.  So, the instant that you buy more land, your total goes up.  Even if you sell/abandon a chunk of land 10 seconds later, you'll still be billed for that higher total.  Therefore, the smart move is to wait until the end of the billing period and then (1) abandon your land and (2) buy the new land, in that order.

• Like 1

In the end, decisions always come down to balancing risks.  You are asking about balancing the risk of losing the opportunity to buy land that you have your hearts set on against the possibility of paying a few USD more for one month by not choosing the optimal time.  I can't make the decision for you, but I usually prefer to look at the long term effects of my choices. 

You are being billed for land fees monthly.  You know when the bill comes due now, because you have been paying it.  On my private region, for example, my cycle runs from the 8th of one month to the 8th of the next.

• Like 1

I don't quite understand, and maybe you don't either. (no offense!)

When you pay for Premium, you get a 512sqm. home and "free tier" (allotment of land) of 512sqm.

You can abandon your 512sqm Linden Home so you can buy a total of 1024sqm of land that you won't need to pay extra for. Or you could just own two (or fewer) separate parcels of land up to 1024sqm total.

If you buy a 2048sqm parcel, you get half of your rent for free, basically. If you want more land, you could try to just buy a connecting parcel to extend your existing one.

Otherwise, you would have to find a bigger parcel and abandon your old one, but the "next size" is never set. You don't have to double your size or increase by 512sqm.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

Thanks, actually our group owns 2048 and we pay 7 a month.  We, as a group, want to move to a larger parcel, however, we didn't know if had to abandon the one we are on and just purchase the other one or if it has to be sold.  I guess we're concerned if we abandon the one we are on we will loose our 2048 land credit (not sure what it's called).  We know if we increase the size we will have to pay more a month, but we're all in agreement on that. 

4 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Don't abandon the current parcel until you are at the end of the period that you have already paid for.  You won't get a refund. 

Pam's point was that if you are on a private estate, it doesn't make any difference whether you buy more land before you abandon the old land or not.  You are paying the landowner either way, since there is no concept of tier in private estates.

If you are on the Mainland, where there is a concept of tier, just remember that you pay for the largest amount of land that you own during the billable period.  So, the instant that you buy more land, your total goes up.  Even if you sell/abandon a chunk of land 10 seconds later, you'll still be billed for that higher total.  Therefore, the smart move is to wait until the end of the billing period and then (1) abandon your land and (2) buy the new land, in that order.

Thanks so much.  With this said, our concern is the parcel we want my get taken buy someone else.  Should we still go for it and than abandon the other one after the billing cycle ends? and how long is a billing cycle?

I suppose you are right about the risk.  I can't thank you enough for ans all my questions.  I truly appreciate your time and information you've been a big help and this will allow us to make an informed choice. I got the billing cycle date and put it in my calendar so I can make sure we drop it at the right time.  Be Well Always. 

Here are some things to consider:

I'm assuming from the $7.00 figure that you own Mainland.

• Your land is paid for "in arrears".  That is, each month you are paying for the PREVIOUS month's ownership.  Therefore, you will be charged $7.00 NEXT month, whether you abandon or sell your land this month or not.
  • You should not buy the new parcel first, before selling or abandoning your current land.  Mainland tier charges are based on the MAXIMUM amount of land you hold AT ANY POINT in the billing cycle.  If you buy the new parcel, and then get rid of your current one, you will have owned both parcels at the same time (even if it was only for a minute!) and your tier will reflect that.
  • If you are willing to risk someone else buying the parcel you are looking at, you could set your current land for sale, at an attractive price, and try to sell it before the end of the billing cycle.  If it hasn't sold, or you get nervous, abandon the land and then go buy the new parcel.  If you can sell it, good!  You get back some or all of the price you paid for it, or maybe even a small profit.
  • Remember that you are not billed based on a particular parcel, or parcels, of land.  Your monthly tier charge depends only on the maximum amount of mainland you hold during the billing cycle.  Getting rid of one 2048 parcel and gaining another 2048 parcel does not affect your tier for that month at all, nor do you "lose the benefit" of your land if you move during the billing cycle.  (This is unlike the situation where one wants to downgrade from Premium membership.  In that case, it IS a good idea to wait until near the end of the subscription period.)

Groups get a 10% tier bonus.  Here are some examples, assuming only one Premium member in the group, who's paying the tier.  If other members are also premium and are donating tier, add 1,120 sq m. for each of them :

• At the $7.00/mo. level, a group can own 2,240 sq. m.
  • At the $13.00/mo. level, a group can own 3,376 sq. m.
  • At the $22.00/mo. level, a group can own 5,632 sq. m.
Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1931 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.