Proper Destinations ~~ Please help me out. ~~

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1950 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One things I don't like about SL is the 'Destinations' tool. It is so derp. Save 'Newcomer Friendly' its really useless in my opinion.

So I was hoping to start something here, a member built destinations guide. It may not be accurate, but would at least be far more useful then what is present. There are a lot of sims out there that are much larger and with higher activity then what is listed here, and that would be a big help for people who don't know where else to get this information.

So please Link a sim, a category and what rank it should hold like this:

~~New Citizens Incorporated,Newcomer Friendly,1~~

~~The Shelter,Newcomer Friendly,2~~

Like I said, I agree with the newcomer portion of it... Just not anything else. And its been like this for too long.

Hopefully with enough replies, I can just dump the replies into a document and separate the data with the special characters ~~ and , which would leave me with something concrete to build upon at some far off time in the future. Anyone else could too if you know how to separate text in a string to column by targeting certain aspects.

Knowledge empowers. So lets share what we know and make SL better for it.

PS. Active map links listed at the bottom of your post would help, but most sims can be found by searching their name... So just watch your spelling. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, taintedxjennifer said:

One things I don't like about SL is the 'Destinations' tool. It is so derp. Save 'Newcomer Friendly' its really useless in my opinion.

So I was hoping to start something here, a member built destinations guide. It may not be accurate, but would at least be far more useful then what is present. There are a lot of sims out there that are much larger and with higher activity then what is listed here, and that would be a big help for people who don't know where else to get this information.

So please Link a sim, a category and what rank it should hold like this:

~~New Citizens Incorporated,Newcomer Friendly,1~~

~~The Shelter,Newcomer Friendly,2~~

Like I said, I agree with the newcomer portion of it... Just not anything else. And its been like this for too long.

Hopefully with enough replies, I can just dump the replies into a document and separate the data with the special characters ~~ and , which would leave me with something concrete to build upon at some far off time in the future. Anyone else could too if you know how to separate text in a string to column by targeting certain aspects.

Knowledge empowers. So lets share what we know and make SL better for it.

PS. Active map links listed at the bottom of your post would help, but most sims can be found by searching their name... So just watch your spelling. 

You mean like the favorite destinations forum?

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/295-favorite-destinations/

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Jennifer!

(or is that, ex-Jennifer?  In which case, congratulations.  There are way too many Jennifers in the world.  But I digress...)

The official Destinations Guide certainly does have some drawbacks.  I reported on one of them long ago in my blog post "When Traffic Attacks".

Still, I would foresee some real problems with a user-built Destinations Guide too.  The basic philosophy of any such tool is the same as that behind a resident-run "Better Business Bureau"...they are both ways to put a stamp of approval on some places, and (possibly) a stamp of disapproval on others.  All such attempts have failed, due to people trying to "game" the system.  Perfectly nice places get badmouthed by their competition, and some really awful places get good rankings because they know (or bribe) those in charge of the guide.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1950 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.