Avatar texture loading taking too long?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Kurama. When you log in you havent only your avatar's texture to load but all the textures arround even you cant see some of them. The 99% of lag everywhere comes from textures. What you can do to load better?

1)In Viewer 2 --> Menu Me --> Preferences --> Tab Graphics --> Set the quality of your graphics to low. Lower quality = everything loads faster.

2)Menu Me -->  Preferences --> Tab Move & View --> Set your Distance lower.

3)Open your inventory (every time you log in this is your first "job"), type something in search there and wait fetching ALL your items till the last one, without doing something else.

4)Have in your mind that as more lag = more delay for loading. Also more stuff you wear again more delay to load. Anytime you can check your avatar's rendering cost: Menu Advanced (Ctrl+Alt+Shirt+D) --> Performance Tools --> Show Avatar Rendering Cost. You will see a number over your avatar's head. This number reflects the pressure your avatar puts on the server hosting the region (sim). The optimal number per avatar should be in green and between 0/1000 (although almost everyone has more).  So the higher the number, the higher the load on the server your avatar is putting in it in order to work.

LoveAngeL Lyre wrote:

4)Have in your mind that as more lag = more delay for loading. Also more stuff you wear again more delay to load. Anytime you can check your avatar's rendering cost: Menu Advanced (Ctrl+Alt+Shirt+D) --> Performance Tools --> Show Avatar Rendering Cost. You will see a number over your avatar's head. This number reflects the pressure your avatar puts on the server hosting the region (sim). The optimal number per avatar should be in green and between 0/1000 (although almost everyone has more).  So the higher the number, the higher the load on the server your avatar is putting in it in order to work.

The avatar rendering costs are only an indicator how much the rendering of an avatar costs on the client side and affects geometric details and graphical effects only. It is a most often misunderstanding, that lowering ARC will improve sim performance. It is possible to create a single prim which counts ARC=1 on viewer 1.x and drop some scripts in it that will greatly lag down the sim.

The optimum ARC of 1000 or less is just arbitrary, especially since calculation of ARC changed in viewer 2.x so that the previous starter avatars already have an ARC way above 1000.

You don't mention anything about your machine (graphics card, OS, etc) or your internet connection or any of your settings, so it's impossible to suggest anything specific.

Loading & rezzing has been getting better and better for me with just about every release (running a Mac with nVidia GTX-285 and OSX 10.6.7).  I help with testing viewers while they're in development, and have seen significant improvements not only in the time from 'gray goo' to rezzed, but also in how fast they go from blurry to sharp since last summer (when I got back involved with it).  If something in your preferences is set wrong (graphics or network settings), you could end up with slower performance, or if you have corrupt data in your cache folder that could lead to poor SL performance too (for best results go find that folder in your Explorer/Finder and empty out the contents manually before launching the viewer).

Good luck!

• 6 years later...

I resolved it, It's not that and a 100% sure it's not my wifi. All you have to do is reset your avatar try wearing your newbie avatar remove all your clothes and go to avatar menu and select any. After loading wear your real clothes back again.

21 hours ago, AleoVFale said:

Can someone tell me full instructions because I'm really having a hard time and its asap.

don't open dead threads please... this one was only 6 yrs old...

SL works different since than, so the tips in this post are totally out of date.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.