Help with which version of Black Dragon to download

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'd like to download the Black Dragon viewer to try it. I always use Firestorm but looking for something less heavy. I would to use a different viewer for when I am just exploring, dancing etc and do not need to take pics or other things that I love Firestorm for. So, on the Black Dragon download page there are 3 versions, two have been updated. Out of the two that have been updated, does anyone know what the difference is between them? Thanks in advance!

Black Dragon download page am referring to: https://bitbucket.org/NiranV/black-dragon-viewer/downloads/

One is 2 years old yuo can rule that one out... the rest is totally undocumented... yay

OK apparently AVX makes problems on some machines so there is a version with and without it... I found that info on a blog unrelated to the viewer though (thanks for explaining @Maddy Gynoid I would have been lost on that developers page)

Try AVX - if your graphics don't work try the one without.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

One is 2 years old yuo can rule that one out... the rest is totally undocumented... yay

OK apparently AVX makes problems on some machines so there is a version with and without it... I found that info on a blog unrelated to the viewer though (thanks for explaining @Maddy Gynoid I would have been lost on that developers page)

Try AVX - if your graphics don't work try the one without.

Thank you, Fiona! 

I have been trying different viewers but ugh, I can't seem to like them. Firestorm has me spoiled, I am so used to their interface and it is user friendly to me. The other viewers, I don't like the cam view tool, which is exactly like the SL viewer. Also, I love having the ability to mute Group Notices and have only found this ability in FS so far. I also like the way the chat box is set up with FS. Are there any viewers similar to the interface of FS?

As far as I know, only Firestorm has the different cam view tool.
You should be able to mute group notices in any viewer.  I suspect you mean mute group chats, which is a Firestorm feature.  I'm unsure if any other TPVs have added the group chat mute feature.
Firestorm has its own custom chat interface.  Again, as far as I'm aware all other TPVs just use the stock LL viewer chat interface. Catznip has a few modifications to it you may like though.
Have you given Catznip a try yet?

7 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

As far as I know, only Firestorm has the different cam view tool.
You should be able to mute group notices in any viewer.  I suspect you mean mute group chats, which is a Firestorm feature.  I'm unsure if any other TPVs have added the group chat mute feature.
Firestorm has its own custom chat interface.  Again, as far as I'm aware all other TPVs just use the stock LL viewer chat interface. Catznip has a few modifications to it you may like though.
Have you given Catznip a try yet?

Hi Whirly, sorry you are correct, I meant group chat. It is so annoying to have all of my group chats pop up, it overwhelms me when am trying to focus on something. I have tried Catznip and Black Dragon so far, I do not like either of them, and I did use them for a few hours. They just didn't seem user friendly to me. Sighs. Thanks for your input, Whirly.

• 2 weeks later...

In case this ever comes up again:

The normal download procedure would be going through my blog, which will lead you to the pre-download page, giving you a few links to blogposts that should help clear a few questions up as well as give you a quick rundown on the difference between AVX and Non-AVX versions and when to use them.

If you skip my blog and get straight to my bitbucket download page you obviously won't see this information, which might be a bit confusing but hardly anything i can change. It's the same as skipping a tutorial or not reading the manual, you'll be... ugh damn it no you won't be on your own. *facedesks* You'll either ask others or me sooner or later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, NiranV Dean said:

The normal download procedure would be going through my blog, which will lead you to the pre-download page, giving you a few links to blogposts that should help clear a few questions up as well as give you a quick rundown on the difference between AVX and Non-AVX versions and when to use them.

Sorry to spill the beans for you Nirran, but blogs are not accepted as proper documentation by the general public...

Edited by Fionalein

On 1/18/2019 at 8:45 AM, Fionalein said:

Sorry to spill the beans for you Nirran, but blogs are not accepted as proper documentation by the general public...

Doesn't matter and doesn't change the fact that the normal procedure should be going through the official X's blog, always. Unless we're talking online platforms like Steam but Steam would automatically download all versions and/or give you a selection of multiple versions when attempting to launch.

If you want to know something about something, a game, a program. Your first move is to go through its official website, where usually you should be able to find the latest download and maybe, just maybe some information on the download or the program itself.

This is why i'm not a fan of direct links to a download website, be it from a friend, a forum or anything or anyone else. Not only are direct links suspicious, you also skip everything that you might have had to read.

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.