Opting IN to email notifications?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2045 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings. I want to seek some thoughts about something that I'm finding a little frustrating. It seems like I regularly loose access to emailed group notifications. I just stop getting them, even the ones I send myself to groups I administer. It is not that I change my preferences, they just stop coming. Do I understand correctly that we have to periodically opt in to keep getting them? What bugs me mostly is that this means that there is no way to reach group members who may have taken a brief hiatus, but might still want to know if their groups are active. If they have to remember to opt in, they will fall off the list, and not know if their groups are still active. Maybe I am misunderstanding here? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Personally, I think the process is a bit temperamental, like group chat and other things in SL.  I have almost all of my groups set to receive group notices and I have my preferences set to automatically accept all inventory offers and to send IMs to email when I'm offline.  Yet I still sometimes don't get messages or group notices & inventory offers.

Thanks for the input. My issue is that I am losing engagement from members of my groups. I'm trying to figure out if it's Linden policy that you have to periodically re-opt into email notifications from groups, or if it is indeed that the process is just hiccupy. I guess I need to directly ask a Linden about this.

As far as I'm aware, outside of having checked the "email me IM's when I'm off line" box in preferences, there is nothing else to indicate opting in or opting out.   (And having a confirmed email on your account dashboard).  

I have heard that sometimes it seems to go sideways, and also sometimes some email providers will send the emails to your spam folder. 

I was essentially out of SL for a while, and didn't log in at one point for, I think, about 4 years. I may well be misremembering, but I'm reasonably sure that at some point, after maybe 3 years absence, I received some kind of notification that I wasn't going to be receiving offline IMs anymore. (I would periodically, if rarely, check my email for personal messages.)

I do know, for sure, that I was set up to receive them before, and had to reset this when I came back a month or so ago.

Some time ago (within the last year or two?) LL did notify everyone that they needed to confirm their email on their account page in order to continue receiving emails.  I took this as LL weeding out all the no-longer-valid emails, and thought that was probably a one-time thing.    There may be other processes perhaps which stop IM's to emails after an extended absence (like several years), but that's a different situation I think. 

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2045 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.