Land for sale is under water

Olivia Rizzo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1997 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Maybe the answer "yes" is a given, but I want to be sure. I have found a parcel for sale in an area I like but when I TP to it there is no land there! Just sea.

If I buy this land will I be able to use the build tool to build the sea bed up till it is above sea level? (i.e. so I have some land!)

Thanks

44 minutes ago, livb89 said:

Maybe the answer "yes" is a given, but I want to be sure. I have found a parcel for sale in an area I like but when I TP to it there is no land there! Just sea.

If I buy this land will I be able to use the build tool to build the sea bed up till it is above sea level? (i.e. so I have some land!)

Thanks

yes, because under the water is land... for easier building/rezzing most people put a platform at the water level( if you don't plan to live underwater:)
the only difference is that the level of the land is below the water line, most land is normally above it, even under mountains there's mostly water at 20 meter..you only can't reach it with the limits set on terraforming.

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Thanks 1

@Ethan Paslong

Oh OK that's interesting, thank you. I wasn't sure whether there were Linden-controlled restrictions on what places could be land vs sea, to control the coastline so to speak. There are a few platforms around the parcel that is for sale so I could do that too.

As a side point: So there are limits on terraforming then (or can be in some places)? I assume that must mean a maximum and minimum land height for any given parcel.

Thanks

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, livb89 said:

I assume that must mean a maximum and minimum land height for any given parcel.

here are some limits:

Terraforming limits:

Most mainland can be raised/lowered by 4 meters (+/-).

Some mainland cannot be terraformed, including: Bay City regions, Boardman, Brown, De Haro, Horizons, Kama City regions, Nautilus City regions, Nova Albion regions, and Shermerville regions.

Linden Homes do not allow terraforming.

A few, very old mainland Regions like Da Boom have a terraform range of 40 meters (+/-).

Estate (private island) terraformability is settable to a maximum of 100 meters (+/-) by the estate owner or managers.

Maximum water height: 100 meters using inworld controls, 255 meters by using a *.raw file upload.

Region water height is usually 20 meters, and adjacent regions should have the same water height, or else they will look discontinuous.

Maximum terrain height: 255 meters using inworld controls (mainland limit), 510 meters by using a *.raw file upload.

find more here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

Most mainland can be raised/lowered by 4 meters (+/-).

Thanks for the info. The ground (seabed) is at 0 metres and the sea level is 20 metres. I can see in the region details confirm a terrain raise and lower limit of +/- 4m. So with a terraforming limit of 4 metres I guess this means I can't build the seabed up and would only be allowed to make a "floating" platform. 

But oddly some of the surrounding parcels do have blocks of land coming up from the seabed and above the water. (the location is http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ten Pages/228/175/24 )

6 minutes ago, livb89 said:

But oddly ..

not odd :) .. the land isn't a flat pancake, it's sloped under water as much as it is in the mountains /hills, possibly it's within the +/- 4 meters range
also it's possible you see mesh landscaping objects that looks like it's land.

Edited by Ethan Paslong

not sure the original question has actually been answered, so I will put in my 2 cents. When buying Mainland, you should plan to take it pretty much as is - usually you can only go 4 meters up or down, and sea level is usually 20 meters or more below the land. That being said, you can always put an "island" on the water or a house on stilts. If it is a nice spot, don't let it being under water bother you.

On 11/1/2018 at 6:13 AM, livb89 said:

Thanks for the info. The ground (seabed) is at 0 metres and the sea level is 20 metres. I can see in the region details confirm a terrain raise and lower limit of +/- 4m. So with a terraforming limit of 4 metres I guess this means I can't build the seabed up and would only be allowed to make a "floating" platform. 

But oddly some of the surrounding parcels do have blocks of land coming up from the seabed and above the water. (the location is http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ten Pages/228/175/24 )

maybe they  rezzed a prim on the seafloor and and stretched it above sea level. people do that when they are too lazy to show even a modicum of creativity.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1997 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.