Issue with Texture

Vze

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The picture you see have the exact same texture without any edit on the object itself, the one on the right is from Local which isn't uploaded and the one on the left is uploaded version. Does it happen cause i've been uploading them as .png? Does it happen cause of something else?

Başlıksız.png

59 minutes ago, Vze said:

Does it happen cause i've been uploading them as .png?

No.

1 hour ago, Vze said:

Does it happen cause of something else?

Yes.

It's happening because the uploaded texture is 32 bit rgba, instead of 24 bit rgb, this makes SL automatically set the texture's alpha type as "alpha blend", and this is causing an alpha blend sort glitch with the texture on the lenses.

On the texture panel, set the alpha type for the "frame" texture face to "none", and that should cure the problem, if you made the mistake of making the mesh ONE face instead of two, you'll need to remake the mesh.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

On the texture panel, set the alpha type for the "frame" texture face to "none", and that should cure the problem

Or even better, remove the alpha channel before you upload the texture.

47 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

if you made the mistake of making the mesh ONE face instead of two, you'll need to remake the mesh.

And the texture too. Do not mix transparent and non-transparent parts in a single texture. You need the alpha channel for the transparent parts and you do not want it for the opaque parts.

As for why it looked correct with local texture, when you have two overlapping surfaces with alpha, which one shows up in front can be quite random. A minor change in viewing angle can eb enough to swap the sorting order.

8 hours ago, Klytyna said:

It's happening because the uploaded texture is 32 bit rgba, instead of 24 bit rgb, this makes SL automatically set the texture's alpha type as "alpha blend", and this is causing an alpha blend sort glitch with the texture on the lenses.

On the texture panel, set the alpha type for the "frame" texture face to "none", and that should cure the problem, if you made the mistake of making the mesh ONE face instead of two, you'll need to remake the mesh.

I did texture face to none, how can I set 32 bit rgba to 24 bit rgba on gimp? Are you sure if setting alpha type to none is all okay? The glasses i've been working on has 3 seperate textures, One for the left and right side and one around the lens and the lens itself. None of it has to be transparent except the lens and It seems like it's working properly after setting up the alpha type to none for those two textures.

8 hours ago, ChinRey said:

And the texture too. Do not mix transparent and non-transparent parts in a single texture. You need the alpha channel for the transparent parts and you do not want it for the opaque parts.

I also don't remember mixing transparent and non-transparent parts in my textures :(

10 minutes ago, Vze said:

I did texture face to none, how can I set 32 bit rgba to 24 bit rgba on gimp?

Oh yes, GImp has a tendency to add an alpha channel whether it's needed or not. I don't use GImp very often so I can't remember how to remove it but I'm sure somebody else will tell us soon.

15 minutes ago, Vze said:

Are you sure if setting alpha type to none is all okay?

Seting alpha mode to none effectively converts a 32 bit texture to 24 bit so it does exactly the same job as changng i in Gimp. But it's done by the viewer so the alpha data still ahs to be downloaded and processed by the viewer. That adds a little bit of extra load, not much but it's still better not to have the alpha channel there in the first place.

17 minutes ago, Vze said:

I also don't remember mixing transparent and non-transparent parts in my textures :(

The way you described it, you didn't :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.