Blender to SL

CottonCandyK

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Okay, so I've literally JUST got into mesh creation, my first object being a booty for a sassy spanker system I'm currently working on. But as I export the file (as you can see below) and try to upload it onto SL it looks like a bunch of jagged razors interjecting each other instead of a smooth booty. I've watched a few video tutorials and all of their preview images look fine, even followed their steps, but I can't seem to figure why mine is acting this way... 

259249123_ScreenShot2018-10-17at6_54_44PM.thumb.png.383e5c433584346f1574eaa089f5336c.png

225991630_ScreenShot2018-10-17at6_59_16PM.thumb.png.e8cbfa66f2f7125218c6ee3a4ce56189.png

Edited by CottonCandyK

5 answers to this question

On 10/17/2018 at 2:01 PM, CottonCandyK said:

I've watched a few video tutorials and all of their preview images look fine, even followed their steps, but I can't seem to figure why mine is acting this way...

I'm not sure what video tutorials you have watched but, remember that video tutorials for Blender are not video tutorials for Second Life. When we use Blender to make SL content, we're actually asking it to do a job very different from what it was meant to do and that means we often have to do things different from how "normal Blender users" do them.

It's hard to be sure what the problem is here but my first thought is: did you rememebr to triangulate the mesh?

Backup and test what you are doing with a basic cube. Make a Blender cube and import it. Much easier troubleshooting. Presumably you are testing using the ADITI Preview grid where uploads are free.

You appear to be using a Modifier. Those are often the problem. They have to be applied before import. The trick to keep things editable is to save a copy of the file, THEN apply the modifiers and save that as a different file.

If you plan to use the 'booty' with various mesh bodies and have the redness appear on the skin rather than floating above it, you'll have to be weighting your booty to the various mesh bodies.

SL issues with weighting, modifiers, size, and various brands of mesh body are mostly taken care of with the Blender Addon AVASTAR. You can greatly reduce your learning curve using it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

You appear to be using a Modifier. Those are often the problem. They have to be applied before import. The trick to keep things editable is to save a copy of the file, THEN apply the modifiers and save that as a different file.

I feel stupid for not noticing that.

Any modifiers you add will show up right away in object mode in Blender. But they will not be included in the exported file unless you either click on the "Apply" button or check the "Apply modifiers" checkbox in the export options:

1745503006_Skjermbilde(1907).png.493e67c06dd973aba7b68c790a3470cd.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.