How do I rent out houses with land and protect them?

AnthonyMann

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have just subdivided a parcel and I want to buy and rez houses on each parcel for rent. I have the hippoRent and I can do the land rental part of it. What I want to know is, how do I rez a house or other items on the property before it is rented, and then  protect it from being deleted or stolen? Will a renter be able to do that? What about furniture inside?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

No one can remove or delete objects that you rezz inworld on your land unless you grant them permission.   You need to setup a group for your renters, set the land to that group and then only grant the group permissions necessary for your renters to add their own furniture and perhaps change the music/media setting for their rented parcel.   When your group permissions are setup properly, your renters will be able to do what they need without any fear of them deleting the houses and objects that you place there.

The best way to understand group permissions is to try them out using an alt.  There are also some good information on group permissions in the Knowledge Base.

--Cinn

• Like 1

Hello Antony. At Marketplace you find and buy houses and furniture. About rezz now, all the houses have instructions. When you purchase and get the product, drag the box and follow the instuctions. Usually you get a menu and you choose rezz at first. With the same way you rezz furniture and other stuff you desire. When you rezz something noone else can delete or move or steal it. Its possible for someone to move your stuff only if you give that permission editing it (Right click on it -->Edit). So don't worry about that.

Have in your mind also that you can find ready full furnished houses for the beginning with very good prices. Of course if you dont like something you can remove it and replace with other stuff.

Lets us know if you need something more.

You deed your land to your group and you make sure that all your objects are set to that group including the house.

You then add your tenants as group members in a role that you set up for tenants & you give that role the ability to create objects but NOT the ability to "return objects set to group".

That way you tenants can rezz their own things also set to the group and they will be able to remove and delete their own things because they own them but they will not be able to return any of your objects because they do not have the ability. If you give them the ability to return objects NOT set to group, then they will be able to clean up any trash that ends up on the plot owned by other people, because that would not be set to your group.

You must be careful not to put your objects in "share with group" but only SET to group. Also, don't "deed to group" except for televisions, and then when you make the roles with different powers in the group, make sure the power "sell group deeded objects" is NOT checked off for tenants.

You must avoid "share with group" so that items can't be returned or moved by various people in the group, sometimes with malicious purposes, i.e. inserting a script into a modifiable object, or returning a no-copy object, which destroys it when it is returned from land.

In order for your tenants to use media, you have to give them the power to "deed objects" so that you don't have to run and do it all the time for them. But you should refrain from giving them the "sell deeded objects" power to avoid people stealing expensive TVs from each other. When they are ready to move, you can come and sell the deeded object to yourself for O, then transfer it back to them/

• Like 2

You have to be careful with "share with group" because that enables people to return objects even when set to the group, against the usual rule of not being able to return group-set objects. So you have to either tell people not to put things in share or don't enable that function, or they will end up returning prims, which destroys them if they are not copyable.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.