Resizing houses and script issues

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2073 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I resize houses, not just to reduce LI (some builds don't go down in LI anyway), but because smaller rooms look better with furniture. Most of the furniture I buy these days, are smaller in scale than the houses.

I always run into problems with door and window scripts. I use a linkset resizer from Herk's lab and the resizing works well, but sliding doors in particular, malfunction after. What I do, is editing off the doors, take out the script, move them manually, put in new script.

I have a house with 8 double sliding doors. That is 16 doors to edit. Surely there is a better way?

It all depends on how the doors are scripted, of course, but probably not.  Sliding doors are generally meant to slide a certain fraction of their width.  If you change the width, the doors won't know how far to move any more.  If you're lucky, they will gain their senses if you restart the script, but not necessarily.

Well, it's done now. I took out the door scripts first, then sized down the house 10%,  and put the script back in all the doors.

I think that was the best way I could do it.

Messed with another house, and it had other problems. It's a lot of issues to resize houses. Back when mesh was new, I remember an user say how much land impact went down, but lately, the houses does not go down in LI at all. So now I only size down because I think it looks better.

Edited by Marianne Little
typo

I do agree some houses seem way out of scale. One thing though that you need to watch for is that "sometimes" making a house smaller will make the LODs worse, meaning that things like windows or smallish pieces of trim may break up at a closer distance. So if it matters, be sure and check that. 

The opposite is true of course too and making objects larger can sometimes improve the LODs -- helpful with trees and bushes especially. 

On 8/21/2018 at 5:18 AM, Chic Aeon said:

I do agree some houses seem way out of scale. One thing though that you need to watch for is that "sometimes" making a house smaller will make the LODs worse, meaning that things like windows or smallish pieces of trim may break up at a closer distance. So if it matters, be sure and check that. 

This!

Whenever possible, preview what you buy in-world so you can see how it's LOD holds up. There's no reason a smaller house should have these issues so if you do see that, you might want to shop around more.

As a tip, when shopping or building I set my Object Detail down to 2, much lower than most people, and try to only use content that will hold up. This not only prevents me from using items with bad LOD, but also makes it so when people visit they can reduce their Object Detail to enjoy the performance gain doing so gives them. Of course that's mainly for public spaces like clubs and RP sims, but it's a good habit regardless of what you're building.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2073 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.