Windlight settings

Jupiter Firelyte

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2092 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello. I've stepped back into Second Life after six years. A lot is still familiar, but I'm stumped on some other things. I'm struggling with windlight settings. A lot of tutorials, such as this one, are showing the old environmental editor with RGBI sliders. Mine does not look like that. I'm seeing a colour picker. I've got a bunch of old notecards with windlight settings and and I don't know how to translate the settings (e.g. R 0.25). I guess another method would be to download them and install them on my PC?

I'm running Windows 10 and using the official viewer. Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Installing the settings is MUCH easier than trying to duplicate them by hand.  Put the files here:

Windows Vista & 7C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\windlight\skies
or
C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer\app_settings\windlight\skies

Mac – use Go menu > Go to Folder and paste in: ~/Library/Application Support/SecondLife/user_settings/windlight/skies

If you are using a third party viewer such as Firestorm or Exodus, remember to place the settings in the correct folders by substituting the “SecondLife” folder for the name of the viewer you are using.

Water settings are similar, they just go in the windlight\water folder.

There are collections of Windlight settings on the web.  Try here for starters: https://strawberrysingh.com/tutorials/windlight-settings/

• Like 1

These use the current style of viewer. They are getting old now and soon we will have a different environmental editor, but they might get you what you need.

You can likely paste your RGB into the pane? Lots of boxes up top and choices of what format. 

I just click the window picker. Visual gal.

http://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2009/09/windlight-settings.html

• Like 1

Our Windlight will change in the next 2 maybe 6 months. The EEP (Enhanced Environment Project) is in viewer Interface Design and backend services are being changed. Once those are updated we will have a new Windlight that behaves differently and I think only uses the existing saved Windlight settings as things to import.

How Windlight works will change too. As it is now we have Linden Windlight and Firestorm Enhanced Windlight. The result will be a more flexible Windlight that can be scripted for individual avatars and region zones (altitude: o-999m.1,000-1,999m etc). So, it will have aspects of Firestorm WL and some RLV like controls for region appearance.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2092 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.