Gesture Sounds Missing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ok im sorry if this is the wrong  forum to post this, But Yesterday  ALL the sounds related to my gestures (either Bought or Collected) in my 2yrs here

have suddenly disappeared. That is to say  the gestures themselves  are ok just all related audio :( 

does anyone  have an idea why this would happen? Gestures that I made are fine and audio file still intact . any help would be greatly appreciated

ok thank you both for responding   upon checking closer   i can hear the sound but extremely low i located  sound effects in preferences and its check and  100% vol level

and most my gestures are not offensive so idt maturity level would affect that but ill look anyway  thanks again

Gesture.png

Forgive my ignorance here, as I've not made gestures that have sounds, and I'm wholely against most usage of them in sl...(so I'm biased, and rarely pay them any mind at all), but if I may ask a couple questions...

In your screenshot there, under "Sound to play", it says none....why is that? Does that have something to do with it? Should the sound not be listed there? (again, I am ignorant in the specifics of gestures with sounds, so...take that in mind when/if answering please)

Also, to the volume level of the sounds, I have heard many a sound in sl that is, with the appropriately related slider for the sound set to 100%, quite low in volume. I had always assumed this was related to A-my location relative to the sound source itself, B-settings under preferences and other areas in the viewer that regulate how sounds are heard based on the aforementioned letter A...and C-the file as it is created and uploaded to sl somehow simply not being a loud sound in general.

I have uploaded, heard and used many a sound in sl myself-unrelated to gesture use, so I do know that some sounds simply ARE louder than others, regardless of the volume on the related slider. Why they are that way, I have often attributed to the file itself (and its quality), rather than other settings.

If you couldn't get the sound to play at all, which you say is not the case now, I would attribute it to the sound file no longer existing in sl, or at least not existing under the parameters(name, perhaps?) it was originally uploaded by whoever made the gesture. Since the sound does play, but relatively quietly, I would most likely attribute it to the file itself...but that very well may be a mistaken attribution on my part. 

It's also been at least 3 (I think) years since I uploaded any sound at all in sl, so that plays a role in my ignorance here too, lol. 

16 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

In your screenshot there, under "Sound to play", it says none....why is that? Does that have something to do with it? Should the sound not be listed there? (again, I am ignorant in the specifics of gestures with sounds, so...take that in mind when/if answering please)

When you open a gesture in the gesture editor & highlight a sound step, you use the "Sound to play" drop down to replace the sound with a different one.
It's normal for it to show "None" until you expand the drop down list.

Thank you Whirly and Tari for your response.  As I said before this has affected ALL my gestures old and new. It seems to have happened right after  the latest  Firestorm Update. so in answer to Tari  "C" does not apply . In response to Whirly,  I understand how the drop menu works, what I don't know is the original sound file suppose to be listed ( mind you I didn't make the above Gesture in screenshot ). im going to undo the FS update and see if that changes anything .

again thank you both

1 hour ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

When you open a gesture in the gesture editor & highlight a sound step, you use the "Sound to play" drop down to replace the sound with a different one.
It's normal for it to show "None" until you expand the drop down list.

Thanks Whirly, I suspected as much-after I'd posted it, lol-but figured it would be better to get the answer from someone else more familiar with gestures themselves.

To the OP, I highly doubt the new update from FS has anything at all to do with this. If it did, you wouldn't be the only person complaining-people use a TON of sounds, and every sound I have uploaded as well, would also be just as quiet....and none of them are(I know, 'cuz I actually checked-it's a rather curious sort of thing to happen).

It may still be that your distance(or your camera's distance, depending on how that is set up) to the sound's source is affecting the volume. It could also be your actual system and unrelated to sl entirely. I've turned my own system volume (or speaker/headphone volume) down on myself before, not realizing it, and then wondered why everything(sl or not) was quieter than I was expecting it to be, so I just end up turning the volume up again. 

1 hour ago, xDJTechx said:

im going to undo the FS update and see if that changes anything .

Please can you let us know if that fixes the problem or not.
I can't reproduce the problem on Firestorm 5.1.7, but we are using a new audio decoder in Firestorm 5.1.7 & I want to make sure this isn't a bug.
Earlier versions of Firestorm used Fmodex as the audio decoder.  Firestorm 5.1.7 is using Fmodstudio.

One other thought - do you have loudness equalization enabled in windows sound settings? This can mess with volumes of certain things in the viewer, depending what other audio is playing.

Another thought - is your main volume slider set high enough?

Edited by Whirly Fizzle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.