I"m SOOOO confused!!!

bifurlover3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone.  I am an ultra-noob and I am spending money foolishly on items that wont' work together (I think).  I understand the concept of mesh bodies vs prim bodies so I'm good there.  However, I see names of things that I don't understand and I'm really struggling to make sense of the mesh body process.  I see names like Bellezza, Eve Slim and Pulpy, Maitreya, Slink, Catya, etc.   

First, are those body STYLES or are they the store?  I don't see that explained anywhere but I admit  I haven't scoured the thousands of posts prior to this one so please don't get mad by asking a question that others have asked.  

Second, how do I find a body that I like?  Are all bodies modifiable so it doesn't matter what you start out with?  

I'd appreciate any help that you guys have.  I love the concept but it just seems so daunting.  

6 minutes ago, bifurlover3 said:

Hi everyone.  I am an ultra-noob and I am spending money foolishly on items that wont' work together (I think).  I understand the concept of mesh bodies vs prim bodies so I'm good there.  However, I see names of things that I don't understand and I'm really struggling to make sense of the mesh body process.  I see names like Bellezza, Eve Slim and Pulpy, Maitreya, Slink, Catya, etc.   

First, are those body STYLES or are they the store?  I don't see that explained anywhere but I admit  I haven't scoured the thousands of posts prior to this one so please don't get mad by asking a question that others have asked.  

Second, how do I find a body that I like?  Are all bodies modifiable so it doesn't matter what you start out with?  

I'd appreciate any help that you guys have.  I love the concept but it just seems so daunting.  

This web site is good for information. In your position you can start with the tutorials:

http://meshbodyaddicts.com/

Yes it can be very confusing! The names you mentioned are makers of mesh bodies (except Catya which is a model of mesh head). Most makers of mesh bodies have only one or two models (usually covering only up to the neck), but most makers of heads have several models.

Most people start with getting a mesh body, leaving thoughts about a head until later. The best place to start is the website Theresa mentioned, and http://strawberrysingh.com is good too. They list most popular mesh body models, with links to the shops where you can get demos. All the makers have in-world shops but only a few sell via the marketplace, and they all offer free demos that you can take home and try. So, get a demo of each body that seems interesting, wear the shape supplied with it, adjust the shape to your taste (some bodies are designed to look best with a slim shape, others with a curvy shape), play with the HUD, and you should be able to narrow the list down a lot. Another factor in deciding on a particular body is the availability of clothing designed to fit it with no adjustment, so when you are demoing bodies be sure to also demo clothes that you would like to wear with it.

Happy hunting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bifurlover3 said:

First, are those body STYLES or are they the store?

A little of both maybe?  I like to think of them as make and model.
First, the stores for mesh bodies will be Maitreya, Belleza, SLINK, Tonic, etc.  These are the brands or makes and there are many more than these.
Then the different store may have more than one body they sell.  Maitreya Lara, Belleza Venus, SLINK Hourglass, Tonic Fine Beauty and many more. These are the models.  Chevy Malibu, Ford Taurus, Mercedes 350SL, .... Belleza Freya. 

Heads are often sold separately.  The store brands are CATWA, LeLutka, LOGO, LAQ, and on and on.
These stores will then have their different versions.  Catya is a popular head sold by CATWA.  There are also Daniel, Lona, Kimberly, Jessica, Magy, Stanley, Skell .... and many more all sold at the CATWA store.  Other store brands will have other names and it is entirely possible that different stores will each have a head with the same name.  I cannot think of any right off the top of my head but there are so many good brands all making so many great heads it is bound to happen sooner or later.  

When buying items, you need to match the Brand first and foremost.   Skin appliers for CATWA heads will work on any CATWA head.  If it is for a specific CATWA head, the advertisement will say so. 

For clothing, each body will have it's own fit even if the different bodies are made by the same store.  SLINK Physique and SLINK Hourglass are different enough that clothes need to be rigged differently. 

Finally there is a thing called Omega or Omega appliers.  This is a system to try and make a universal, generic set of appliers that can be used across multiple brands.  This also helps less popular brands (less popular in no way implies lesser quality!) to be supported by most clothing designers since they do not need any specific or proprietary mapping.  One Omega texture and every one can use it.  Omega usually needs a relay ... you know what?  Don't worry about that now.  Just know that Omega is not brand specific.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 1

One suggestion that I would like to make is to get a FREE BODY to learn on without spending any more Linden. 

eBODY   http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Coral Island/222/159/2000    has a free version (join group and pay a linden dollar). It works well with SOME Maitreya clothes and there are some designers (MOZ is one for sure) that makes clothes that will fit the FREE version of the body (no alpha slots needed). 

There is MUCH TO LEARN in SL; certainly more now than when I started. So take it slow. 

Remember that groups and group gifts are your friends. Teleporthub.com is a great place to find free stuff and the "SL frees and offers" group has some posts on free items too. 

I would suggest NOT spending much money until you have the "lay of the land" and some time in world.

Have fun. Take it slow. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 2

This is all good advice. Don't rush and don't spend too much too soon. You will soon learn what works and what doesn't. Start by making your system Avi as good as you can. Get a few outfits and chat to people in world. Build your knowledge and don't be afraid to ask questions. 

Then consider a mesh body, and only after you've understood that consider a mesh head and skins.........

Your knowledge will build slowly (by making mistakes!) but you'll get there in the end! Good luck and keep asking questions here.

• Like 1

Like Belinda said, do not rush. I took weeks trying out demos and made sure I was happy with the look before buying. Dont be afraid to test mesh bodies and heads even though some could be less popular than others cause it doesn't really matter in the end.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.