Portable SL Viewer? One that installs to and runs from a USB flash drive

BlkCruelt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am searching for an SL viewer that is portable and will run under windows. A viewer that can be unpacked or installed from a normal account. In other words, without using an admin account.

I don't mind if it run slower. I will need to install without admin privileges. ideally the viewers can be config'ed to keep cache and settings on the jump drive.

TIA

Edited by BlkCruelt

On 7/17/2018 at 3:17 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

Black Dragon was formerly known as the Niran V viewer.  It's listed on the Linden Lab Third Party Viewer page, so it complies with LL's TPV policy.  The caution about its avatar complexity function has nothing to do with its honesty or reliability...LL is merely noting that it doesn't use the same code or produce the same avatar complexity numbers as the official viewer.  My feeling is that this is simply because it hasn't been updated in a while and doesn't include all the newest viewer functions.

And while we're at it. I'd like to point out that the Viewer is regularly updated and is only ever behind a month at max for regular updates (such as bugfixes) and never behind with major releases such as Fitted Mesh, Bento, Animesh and so on.

The warning is solely a note from Oz that my Viewer uses an altered complexity calculation, he's neither saying that it is better or worse, just different.

• Like 3

Set up a usb stick with Linux, give it a persistent partition so you can save things on it. Just boot into that instead of whatever the computers main drive is.

Install a viewer there, then you have a bootable usb with Linux and SL, ready to go

this does mean you need to be able to boot from other devices on the pc, if this is a public pc its probably got a bios password 

8 hours ago, BlkCruelt said:

@Nalates Urriah  I am more than happy to use a viewer other than the SL Viewer. 

I saw that the Black Dragon Viewer is distributed as a RAR archive. Does anyone know anything about that viewer? Know how to directly download the executable for other third party viewers.

RAR is a common compression format used by "warez pirates". That it comes packaged in RAR format is enough that I won't touch it, myself. The third-party viewers page also places a "caution" on the listing for Black Dragon that it does not give accurate ARC score ("misleading" - LL's words,) either intentionally or not.

Edited by Alyona Su

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.