Looking for modular paths/roads - that snap to grid!

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I bought a modular kit yesterday, for roads for a parcel I'm working at - unfortunately expecting such things to align when snapped to the grid was presumptuous of me - they do not align, or even come close, and to eyeball every piece is just terribly annoying, and I can't have gaps or texture collisions. I then went ahead to try a friend's kit from a different brand, and found they had the same issue.

Does anyone know of any paths/roads kit that lines up properly by the grid without such annoyances?

Thank you.

22 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Instead of a different kit, did yo try to adjust your setting for the snapping point? And/or play with the "snap to subunits" option?

Yes. The issue is that the pieces' origins aren't centered to a square - the 8 meter straight pieces do snap to each other since, well it's an 8 meter piece of mesh, and snapping to a full meter is easy - but throw in a curve and the center point of that piece is way off. Even with the subunits, the closest I get is 'way off'. 

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

I bought a modular kit yesterday, for roads for a parcel I'm working at - unfortunately expecting such things to align when snapped to the grid was presumptuous of me - they do not align, or even come close, and to eyeball every piece is just terribly annoying, and I can't have gaps or texture collisions. I then went ahead to try a friend's kit from a different brand, and found they had the same issue.

Does anyone know of any paths/roads kit that lines up properly by the grid without such annoyances?

Thank you.

@wulfie reanimator did a script for brick-like behaviour in another thread...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

It's not a scripting issue - and if Wulfie taught me anything, it's that you don't want excess scripts around.

I do have other modular building kits (for skyboxes) which basically work on a 4x4x4 grid - each section is 4m wide, 4m deep and 4m high - even if it's just a pillar for a corner or a thin wall section; that way, the object origin in-world makes it so that, if you want to put a corner-pillar in a 4x4 room, you put the prim on the -same- origin as the room itself, and the shape of the mesh (it has little anchor points to make it 4x4x4, even if it's just a 0.2 meter wide thing) aligns it to the room's module. That's what modular means, in my mind, that the items are made to snap-fit easily, not just that they're theoretically compatible for a multi-component structure -if- you can be arsed to eyeball everything exactly into place using a fairly arbitary drag-and-drop at free hand, or adding a fraction of a fraction in any direction that you have to move something for it to align.

Even I know 'how' to do it, more or less - but I'm up over my ears in projects with my photography and store already, not to mention my RL business  - I'd just love it if I could occasionally buy something and have it work as expected. Unfortunately build prefabs don't often come with demos - seeing how someone else has plonked down a few sections of something doesn't tell you whether it's easy to use (unless of course they have collisions and gaps in their own build - that'd be a bad sign!).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Weirdly enough I didn't get notified for that @, I just stumbled in. Thanks for mentioning me though!

But, sadly I don't think the script I demonstrated there would help here. If he's manually editing the roads to begin with, he has the grid/subgrid available which should make it pretty easy to align the road pieces if they are made to align. If their sizes are inconsistent so that the origin doesn't end up in a "neat spot" (all origins "fit" on the same grid) the script I have is useless. For objects like Orwar described (4x4x4 or even 4x4x1), it would work perfect aside from linkset distance limitations.

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

It's not a scripting issue - and if Wulfie taught me anything, it's that you don't want excess scripts around.

They grow up so fast, I feel like a good mom. xD

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.