What will other people see?

Maitimo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

If I try out the project viewer right now, and use bakes on mesh, can it be seen by people who are not using this viewer? If not, what do they see? My naked mesh body? "Missing Image"?

It won't be pretty - your body will show brightly-colored sections with repeated lettering on them, and your default body will be showing through in places because you can't use a full-body alpha with bakes-on-mesh (with the project viewer, your default body sections will be hidden automatically without an alpha.

The situation isn't significantly different than the introduction of mesh, fitted mesh or Bento - fortunately the viewer market has consolidated quite a bit since mesh was introduced there will be fewer problems with viewer1/viewer2+ codebase incompatibility.

• Thanks 1

Back in the day it took quite awhile for the general populous to catch up with new features -- primarily because Phoenix/Firestorm  (now working as Firestorm) had a huge section of the populous in their fan club :D.  So mesh didn't actually become viable UNTIL it was introduced into their viewer. Actually if I remember correctly (and someone certainly will) the Phoenix viewer couldn't see mesh until someone (the Cool Viewer dev maybe?) painstakingly made it possible for V1 viewers (and shared!).  So that was certainly messy. 

Since then The Lab is working closer with the 3rd party viewer group and features are added more quickly.   That works better for everyone. So hopefully there won't be a long period of time when things look bad to 3rd party folks.  So available and VIABLE are often two different matters with major new features. In the case of EEP (new Windlight system) I won't be using it until it gets into Firestorm.  I MAY start practicing when it gets into the Linden release viewer :D. Who knows. 

Also now, there is a limit on how old a viewer can be and still work (in Firestorm anyway) and that helps cut some of the problems down. There will likely always be old viewers though that don't see new features correctly.  BUT it won't just be YOU that looks bad -- maybe that helps some! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2018 at 12:30 AM, Matty Luminos said:

If I try out the project viewer right now, and use bakes on mesh, can it be seen by people who are not using this viewer? If not, what do they see? My naked mesh body? "Missing Image"?

Cathy Foil has made some videos of early use of BoM and how to use it and problems. You can see what others see... to a point.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLurA9Qzby5GRuYtJ_K_8FA

The quick way to 'self' answer these questions is login with your Project/RC viewer and use and Alt and log them in with a viewer that does not support the feature you are testing.

There are some images floating around showing the odd rainbow pattern but, I couldn't find any...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.