changing object description of inventory object

trivis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dear scripters,

I am looking for a way to change the object description of an item i have in the content tab of a giver object.

The idea is that when someone touches the main object the description of the object to give away will be changed first, so i can make the gift more personalized.

Havent found a way yet to do so. Was wondering if it is possible, and if yes, how so?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, there's no way to change the description field of an object while it is in the giver object's inventory, so you'll need a way to do it after it leaves there. Rachel's suggestion will be fine if the giver object is actually going to rez the new object and the intended recipient is going to somehow be able to take ownership of it. If the giver object simply sends the new object directly to the new owner, however, it will never be in world to receive the giver object's message, so that suggestion won't work.

Depending on what sort of "personalization" you want to put in the Description field, you could write a short one-time script that contains a canned message to be written the first time the new object is rezzed. Something like ....

{
    on_rez(integer startup)
    {
        llSetObjectDescription("This object was rezzed for the first time on " + llGetDate() );
        llRemoveInventory(llGetScriptName());
    }
}

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your response! Highly appriciated.

In the most simple version it would be nice to give the gift a 'unique' number of a sequence... That is: the first recipient will get numer 1, the second numer 2, the third nr3 and so on... But it is clear to me that i have to find another way :-)

Thanks again!

trivis

Edited by trivis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.