Making Wrinkles on cloths

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Drawing folds and wrinkles in cloth is one of the classic exercises assigned to students and apprentice painters since the Renaissance,  If you study Da Vinci's notebooks, you will find many sketches that were his own practice pieces. The way to learn, other than studying the work of accomplished artists, is to set up several folded and wrinkled fabric samples and just start drawing with a fresh pad of paper and a soft pencil. Nothing beats practice.

Learning to make folds and wrinkles with Photoshop is no easier than learning to do it with pencil and paper, but you can find a very large number of tutorials on line with a Google search that will help you get a start with the tools.  (Try searching for something like "drawing folds and wrinkles with Photoshop". ) By following tutorials, you will at least know how to make shadows and highlights. Putting them in the right places and making them appear natural and logical on worn clothing is the hard part. Try wearing some loose clothing and standing in front of a mirror to see how the clothing drapes on your body, and how the shadows and highlights change with different kinds of lighting and with different fabrics.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2018 at 2:13 PM, 131129 said:

I want to make those wrinkles in Marvelous Designer like on my tank in the screenshot

Tips for drawing folds and wrinkles and blender tutorials probably aren't going to be of much use to the OP given that he's asking for info on how to create clothing for Marvelous Designer (a 3D app dedicated mainly to cloth simulation).

@131129 You'll find tons of tutorials for MD on youtube, but I'd suggest starting with the ones available on the official website.

ETA: If the official tutorials don't have the info you're looking for I'd recommend checking out CG Elves youtube page, they have a large selection of video tutorials for Marvelous Designer, including one for the Solidify tool, which seems to be an important part of the wrinkle-making process.

Edited by Fluffy Sharkfin
Added link to CG Elves
  • Thanks 1

Thanks All ♥ , Actually its a 3D simulator software most ppl in sl use to make cloths , so I don't have to draw anything actually , I can bake the textures from 3D model , the hard part is making the Wrinkles in 3D in Marvelous Designer

There are quite a few good tutorials out there.  It doesn't take much Googling to find them.  As I commented earlier, though, the real challenge is not how to run the software.  Any monkey  can do that (well, not really, but any intelligent high school student).  The challenge is using powers of observation and artistic skill to make folds and wrinkles that look realistic.  The ones in the photo that the OP posted are a good illustration of what happens when someone with technical skill but little artistic talent tries it. Those wrinkles look like worm tunnels. I have only mediocre artistic talents myself, so I cannot claim to make clothing drape the way that Leonardo Da Vinci or any truly competent artist can, but I know that's where the difference between ho-hum work and really convincing imagery lies.  It's not in a software tutorial.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.