Show and Hide and Prim Count

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2194 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, 

I did a search on how show and hide works with prim count and couldn't find anything.  So, if your show/hide item(s) are on hide, is the prim count gone for those item(s)?

For instance, if I hide 20 prims with the hide, will the prim counter not count these "hidden" prims (objects) unless they are on show?  

Anyhow, my question is, can the hide reduce your prim count IF say you only have the show items once in a while?  

Let me give an example, I have a bathroom with 70 prims with all spa and fancy decorative items showing.  Now, I don't intend to use the spa and fancy decorations too often and I want to hide 35 prims of decor not used too often and just leave basics such as sink and mirror basic bathroom MOST OF THE TIME (no fancy or spa experience items)...is this a possible way to go to reduce prim count...or just a confusion to the prim reader?  

If this could work, it's great, because otherwise I'd have to take items back into inventory to reduce prim count and set them up again each time.  

Thanks in advance!

Edited by FairreLilette

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but it doesn't make a bit of difference whether you can see a rezzed object or not.  All that counts is whether the servers are aware of it, so that the physics engine has to deal with potential collisions and changes to the shape of the environment.  A rezzed object doesn't change its L.I.just because you make it transparent, just as the walls in your RL house don't become less real when you turn the lights out.

Edited by Rolig Loon

Okay, so the hide object(s) are still readable they are just on an alpha then (turned transparent).  

It is confusing because I've seen items to buy at low prim IF all objects are not rezzed, and when all objects are rezzed, it's a higher prim count.  So, hide and show isn't the script to reduce prim count or hide the items then but there is some kind of rezzing or de-rezzing kind of system then.  Do you know what is?  I know I can rezz items on give all contents, such as brush, sponge, facial cloth, etc, and those prims do not show until the avatar touches for the give all items and receives them.

Is there a way to hide items without taking back into inventory and re-rezzing and setting them up again?  And, I'm not talking about the brush, the sponge, the facial cloth, coffee, tea or other "give all contents" kinds of items...I'm taking about non animated decorations I'd like to have once in a while but not set them up every time.

I'm new too scripting.  I'm only in my second week.  It's just a beginning for me, and sorry if not explaining this too well.

I guess in a nutshell, is there a way to rezz and derezz objects you may only use once in a while without taking them in and out of your inventory?

Thanks in advance again.  

Edited by FairreLilette

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

It is confusing because I've seen items to buy at low prim IF all objects are not rezzed, and when all objects are rezzed, it's a higher prim count. 

Without seeing what you are talking about, I can only make wild guesses.  However, I think you mean something quite different when you say "rez" than most people would in this context.  To "rez" an object in Second Life is to "create a new instance" of the object in world.  So, an object exists in world if it has been rezzed.  If it has not been rezzed, it does not exist.  What you're talking about is whether an object is visible or not, which is a different matter.  We will also talk about whether a texture rezzes or not, which is closer to what you mean.  In that situation, we're talking about whether the texture has been fully resolved by the viewer at all LOD levels, so it is not blurry.   In that case, "rezzing" does not refer to whether it's visible or transparent, but whether your graphics card has processed it fully.

So, if you want to create something that only has some parts in world when you need them, you can rez them on demand and then kill them when you no longer need them.  You can set objects as temp_on_rez, so that they vanish spontaneously in about a minute, or you can script a timer to kill them at some time of your own choosing.  If you are attaching an object, you can use llAttachToAvatarTemp so that it does not return to the user's inventory when detached.  There are many other options for managing when an object is created and how long it stays around.  It all depends on exactly what you are trying to do.  At the moment, that's not clear.

Okay, first, I needed the hide/show script for water in a bathtub and the bath pillow that fits behind the head.  Those two objects (the water and the bath pillow) are on hide/show because it would look weird if water and a bath pillow were visible all of the time even when the bath is not in use, but the prims still read.  I had to ask because I wasn't sure.  I couldn't find much with research on the hide/show script nor how it worked, though I new the water and the bath pillow were still there in the same spot so I kinda figured it is still reading the prims -- but the bathtub looks better (with water or empty) and it's a great script!

Next, there is a bathtub for sale that works on a "rezzer system".  It can rezz rose petals, candles, towels, all different kinds of things, and in the advert it says it works on a rezzer system.  How does this rezzer system work?  Does it drop down a menu and you choose which items to rezz or not rezz?  And do these items from the rezzer system go into your inventory and you have to rezz them out, set them up, and take them back into inventory manually?  If I have to do that, what is the point of having a rezzer system since I'd still have to set everything up again every time I want to use it.  Or does it work a different way?   

I was wondering if those items on this particular bathtub are hidden inside the tub and don't count as prim count unless rezzed.  Is this possible?  

A holodeck style rezzer is a great way to make the most of your land's prim allotment. I have one set up as a "door lock" control. I have one main outdoor land area with a bunch of buildings and tunnels. Click the rezzer terminal and it asks you which door you want "unlocked". When you unlock a door, it rezzes the area behind that door. Perfect for a home or even a small group focused RP area.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2194 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.