How do I add sitting poses to a very nice booth?

AmandaHoliday

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

Easy answer?  Drop your pose in a new prim, add a script that sets a sit target on the prim and activates the pose when you sit on it.  Then make the prim transparent and put in in your booth. Adjust manually to get the position and rotation the way you like it.  That's essentially just a pose ball.  If you can't write the script, use any freebie poseball script.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, AmandaHoliday said:

Rollig, You're using jargon that a first timer should NOT be subjected to. -GRINS- As soon as I decipher what you said, I'll try it.

Aww.. I'm sorry.  So, start at the end of what I said?  Do you know what a pose ball is?  That's basically what I was recommending.  The only thing that's special about what I was recommending is that YOUR poseball has to be one that plays whatever anim you put into it.  I'll send you one this evening.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Easy answer?  Drop your pose in a new prim, add a script that sets a sit target on the prim and activates the pose when you sit on it.  Then make the prim transparent and put in in your booth. Adjust manually to get the position and rotation the way you like it.  That's essentially just a pose ball.  If you can't write the script, use any freebie poseball script.

Jargon translator to 11!

Pose:  An item of content.  Poses do just what the name implies.  When you activate one, it poses your avatar.  Strictly speaking, a pose is a static position.  However, a lot of sit poses are actually animations, and your avatar moves while performing it.  Both animations and poses are items that appear in your inventory.

Prim:  Shorthand for "geometric primitive".  A basic shape like a box, a sphere, or a donut.  You can make and edit prims with the Build tools in world.  Many Second Life objects are made out of a collection of prims (called a "linkset").  Many newer objects are created in an external 3D modeling program, and are collectively known as "mesh" objects.

Script:  A little software program.  Scripts are what make the magic in Second Life.  Scripts are written in a language called Linden Scripting Language, or LSL.  Scripts are used to make doors open, fires burn, water flow, vehicles move, and trees change their leaves with the seasons.  And very simple ones are used to trigger an avatar animation when you, for example, sit on something or click it.

Sit Target:  Whenever you sit on something, you assume both a pose and a position relative to the object.  The position is your "sit target".  If you create a cube and sit on it, the sit target is there automatically, created right along with the prim.  It's usually pretty accurate, but sometimes we want to adjust the position of the sit so that we appear to be sitting ON the chair, rather than IN or ABOVE the chair.  The sit positioner I mentioned earlier provides an easy way to do this.

Poseball:  An object, most often a pink or blue sphere, that contains an animation and a simple script to activate it.  Poseballs may be separate objects, or may appear when you click on a piece of furniture or a dance machine.   Pairs of poseballs contain "couples animations", animations for you and a friend to use together.

Now we are ready to translate the rest of Rolig's advice.  "...make the prim transparent and put it in your booth.  Adjust manually to get the position and rotation the way you like it."  She means, "use the Build/Edit window to edit your object."  The Texture tab of that window lets you make it transparent.  (Note:  to see transparent objects, hit CTRL+ALT+T).  The Object tab lets you adjust the size, rotation, or position.  Or there are simple manual controls.  Right click the object and choose Edit.  Three colored arrows appear at right angles to one another in the object's center.  You can drag these with your mouse to move the object.  Holding CTRL changes them to a series of rings, and you can rotate them.  Holding CTRL+SHIFT changes them to a bounding box with handles that you can drag to re-size the object.  To make the object a permanent part of your booth, select the object, then hold SHIFT and click the booth.  Then click the Link button in the Edit window.

"...drop your pose into your prim..."  Objects can contain things.  They can contain scripts, animations, sounds, notecards, and other objects.  You put something "into" an object by dragging it from your inventory and dropping it into the Content tab of the Build/Edit window.

There is a great series of basic building tutorials at The Ivory Tower Library of Primitives in the Natoma region.  You may want to explore these to become more familiar with basic Second Life building practices, before fooling around with your booth.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.