Suggestion - Auto-Translate

Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, it might be ok for reading posts but please stop using auto-translate for reply to posts.

Things i read, translated to my language, usually do not help much.

Translate complex things isn´t working automatically even MS currently had a break-through with automated vs human translation

Monti

Especially in SL, most people are quite forgiving when you can't form a gramatically correct sentence (or to a lesser extent use machine translation). I'd like to think with all the inter-mixing we do we - as a whole - are quite a tolerant group of people in terms of not over-correcting grammar, spelling, tense, gender, and just plain old mangling of any language.

There are clearly exceptions of course. For an example, in my circle of acquaintances, there is one grumpy German man who is absolutely unwilling to give an inch on my bad Deutsch, (or Ritsutsch as I call it). And there really is nothing more demeaning than putting in the effort trying to speak a foreign language and then having an absolute grumpy-bum correct every little mistake.

Sometimes the only help here on the forums, or in-world, will be someone who isn't native and is struggling to form grammatically correct phrases. And sometimes even native speakers will need a correction by a non-native speaker.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Monti Messmer said:

Hi, it might be ok for reading posts but please stop using auto-translate for reply to posts.

Things i read, translated to my language, usually do not help much.

Translate complex things isn´t working automatically even MS currently had a break-through with automated vs human translation

Monti

I hope the experts who do this, trying to help people, see this and reply.

I guess there is the assumption that if someone posts in, say, Russian, then they may not understand a reply in English. So, you would prefer replies in English?

I was under the impression that “any help is better than no help at all@.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I hope the experts who do this, trying to help people, see this and reply.

I guess there is the assumption that if someone posts in, say, Russian, then they may not understand a reply in English. So, you would prefer replies in English?

I was under the impression that “any help is better than no help at all@.

There's a fundamental problem using auto-translate to post something --

When you form a post by typing things out yourself, you at least know what you're trying to say; it might not be technically correct but at least it's a clear indication of your intentions and is out there in the public record. When you use auto-translate to post, though, you literally don't know what you just said, but it's still out there and can be interpreted as a public record of your intentions.

I've seen posts obviously made by auto-translate and in some cases I've told them to post again in their native language because at least that way there'll be someone who will know what they were trying to say, especially with a specialized subject like Second Life where some words aren't part of any everyday language and others mean different things than their everyday meanings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

I've seen posts obviously made by auto-translate and in some cases I've told them to post again in their native language because at least that way there'll be someone who will know what they were trying to say, especially with a specialized subject like Second Life where some words aren't part of any everyday language and others mean different things than their everyday meanings.

I sometimes need to do that with my partner, although after almost four years of hearing my incessant babble it's a lot rarer now than at the start. 'revanchieren' was a word that tripped us up yesterday.

Good idea Theresa :) One I will adopt.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.