Significant Texture detail loss on upload

Rocketroo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have uploaded textures before without any issues. However, this time I am seeing quite the resolution loss on the textures I am uploading. The textures are 1024 by 1024 resolution both on my computer and in world. The texture is a rose knit pattern that is clear on my computer and if i load in-world using 'local' as a temp it shows all the details no problem. However once I upload into world the resolution is lost. There is immediately noticeable loss of resolution. Image was uploaded "Use Lossless Compression" checked. I have tried uploading the image as both a PNG and as a TGA file. The main details become smeared as if the image was dropped to half resolution. This makes the texture totally unusable for build. Why is there such resolution loss and what can be done to fix this?

examples.png

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Rocketroo said:

I have uploaded textures before without any issues. However, this time I am seeing quite the resolution loss on the textures I am uploading. The textures are 1024 by 1024 resolution both on my computer and in world. The texture is a rose knit pattern that is clear on my computer and if i load in-world using 'local' as a temp it shows all the details no problem. However once I upload into world the resolution is lost. There is immediately noticeable loss of resolution. Image was uploaded "Use Lossless Compression" checked. I have tried uploading the image as both a PNG and as a TGA file. The main details become smeared as if the image was dropped to half resolution. This makes the texture totally unusable for build. Why is there such resolution loss and what can be done to fix this?

examples.png

I haven't uploaded any textures today but in general MUCH is not working well. Mesh isn't loading all the time (invisible until you click). Items not rezzing or rezzing at five meters above the floor (house physics are correct) etc. So it looks like a lot of folks are OFF this weekend maybe for the "holiday". Hopefully it will get fixed tomorrow. 

Well, first of all, I would ask you why you think you need a 1024 texture for your build, and everything less is "unusable."  There are very few instances where a 1024 texture is really needed, and the use of them causes a lot of viewer-side lag.  Conscientious creators will always strive to use textures with the smallest amount of pixels necessary to do the job.

Secondly, I am not seeing much, if any, loss of detail in your uploaded image.  What I DO see is that the image is darker, and this creates the "muddy" impression you describe.  Was this texture photographed on a prim in world?  If so, was it set to Full Bright?  If it was not, the local lighting and time of day will have an effect on the appearance of your texture!

Finally, go back and check a couple of things.

• Is the texture on your computer REALLY 1024 x 1024?  If it's off even a little, SL will try to scale it during the upload, and the scaling engine they use isn't very good.  Always upload textures that are sized with dimensions that are a power of 2 for the cleanest uploads.
  • Does your texture have an alpha channel?  If transparency is not needed, be sure to upload in a format that does NOT have an alpha channel, such as .PNG.  If there is even a little transparency in the image, it could result in the "muddy" appearance you're seeing.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For anything over 64x64 the avoid loss option doesn't work. It is explained in the wiki. Your PNG or TGA is as lossless as you can go for larger images.

SL uses the Kakadu JPG2000 image format and their libraries for image handling. Your PNG and TGA is converted to JPG2000 on upload. They will be compressed and suffer loss.

My experience is the 1024 I upload is good and displays well. But, the viewer is going to use a smaller version of the JPG2000 image when possible. We see stages of the JPG2000 loading when we go shopping. Various states and quality of an image render and get progressively better. Lately I've seen lots of image stalls in Firestorm and occasionally the Lindem viewers. The image hangs at a lower resolution version of the image. The problem isn't in image quality. It is the connection, CDN, or SL infrastructure overload... something.

Also, how the image/texture is applied to prim or mesh can drop the quality. Mesh UVMaps can create quality issues. The viewer used can drop the quality. Only Firestorm and Linden use Kakadu. Other third-party viewers use an open source alternative, AFAIK. If you are uploading with a viewer other than FS or LL then you may see a degradation in image quality. 

There are lots of possible reason for what you are seeing. You haven't told us enough for us to be sure why you see what you see.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.