Name Change?

Osiris Ronas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2265 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been toying with the idea of tweaking the avi's name. Well, toying with the idea for years. I just have an OCD concern about it.
So display name is "John Smithy."

John Smithy
     O
    /  \
      |
   |     |

I am afraid if I change it to say "The Doctor," then when people see my avi, they will see a display name and account name:

The Doctor
john.smithy
     O
    /  \
      |
   |     |

Just as i see countless avis with both display and account names. I would not want my account name shown over my avi. Too distracting. So before I go changing the name, can you tell me if there is no way around it or it may not happen, or there is a way to not have it happen at all?

Thank you.

18 minutes ago, Osiris Ronas said:
I have been toying with the idea of tweaking the avi's name. Well, toying with the idea for years. I just have an OCD concern about it.
So display name is "John Smithy."

John Smithy
     O
    /  \
      |
   |     |

I am afraid if I change it to say "The Doctor," then when people see my avi, they will see a display name and account name:

The Doctor
john.smithy
     O
    /  \
      |
   |     |

Just as i see countless avis with both display and account names. I would not want my account name shown over my avi. Too distracting. So before I go changing the name, can you tell me if there is no way around it or it may not happen, or there is a way to not have it happen at all?

Thank you.

no you can not prevent that, it's a setting every user can change for himself only.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2

You can easily create a new account and either abandon your current, or use both. Any inventory you have acquired that is non-transferable, however, will have to stay with your current account. Also keep in mind that, unless I'm mistaken, legacy names are gone - you can no longer have a first and last name separated by a space, as you have now. So your name "The Doctor" would have to be written as "TheDoctor," "The_Doctor," "The.Doctor," etc. And that's assuming no one else already has any of those usernames. You could end up with something pretty weird, just to make it work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ariel Vuissent said:

You can easily create a new account and either abandon your current, or use both. Any inventory you have acquired that is non-transferable, however, will have to stay with your current account. Also keep in mind that, unless I'm mistaken, legacy names are gone - you can no longer have a first and last name separated by a space, as you have now. So your name "The Doctor" would have to be written as "TheDoctor," "The_Doctor," "The.Doctor," etc. And that's assuming no one else already has any of those usernames. You could end up with something pretty weird, just to make it work.

Yea, I have no problem leaving the few inventory bits I have. My avi is the same since 2009, I think. But, no spaces?? Oh gosh no.

But you know, I will create an account to try then and have a friend tell me what they see. Will give it a go and try it, and I guess if I not like the way the name then shows, then bla. I will stick to what I got with avi 1.

Thanks, Ariel.

56 minutes ago, Osiris Ronas said:

So if I change my name, I will forever be stuck having the account name right under? Bla, I might as well make a new avi then, yes? Just not the visual I would want, you know?

no a new account will not help, others will still see the username of the new one too.. not osiris of course... but if you for example use xxx456 as username and John as display... it will still show both.

And... you can't register double names anymore, just one word ones.

You can turn off usernames in your own preferences, so regardless of what other people see, at least you won't see the username (or anyone else's). I generally keep them turned off, except when I'm hosting an event.

Another thing you can do is create a group and make some custom titles for it. The custom title will show above your name and these CAN have spaces in, so you could set "The Doctor" as a group title, and they don't have to be unique. If you delete the display name altogether, your tag will show just "The Doctor" and below it your username. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2265 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.