Second Life Mobile

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 4 weeks later...

Nope.

I use Lumiya on my Huawei Mate 9, its not a LL viewer. Third party. I can get online and voice chat and text chat with friends and sit in my chair at the camp fire. Very limited. Not intended to take over for desktop viewer. Just lets you keep in touch while away from computer. And not LL endorsed.

Of course it cannot work as a desktop viewer because of the limited screen AND ! SL is designed for wired LAN connection, not mobiles.

Depending on the OS a lot of functions will/can not work on mobile viewers.

If you want a good experience with SL use a good desktop PC with a bigger than 15" screen and a wired internet connection.

Yes, newer laptops can handle SL but it´s still llimited, besides spending a fortune for a laptop while a desktop cost only half.

Monti

If you are talking about Lumiya i would hold off for now there's been issues. it got removed from the TPV list last year, i think as of yet it's not known why. The developer of the viewer is now apparently banned from SL and there's been reports it was blocked from accessing the grid for a time quite recently. That said as Android based viewers go it's the most feature rich it can't and won't replace a full viewer but if you are in situations where you can't be at a computer/laptop it will allow you to see and chat with friends, move around and interact with the world in 3D

On 2/21/2018 at 7:43 AM, Monti Messmer said:

Yes, newer laptops can handle SL but it´s still llimited, besides spending a fortune for a laptop while a desktop cost only half.

My 450$ Acer Aspire with a mere i5 7200u and intel HD 620 graphics would contest that. 30-40fps on medium/high settings in popular places. ALM drops that to 20-30 but can rise in less populated places.

For the sake of portability, which i need now with my current job, 450$ for this kind of performance is pretty great. It outperforms my budget desktop by a fair bit. You dont need a laptop with a mobile quadcore and a 1070 to get decent performance in SL.

SL is designed for wired LAN connection

*sniffs air* Smells like 2003? I caught a faint whiff of pogs and pokemon cards. Wifi and mobile connections are just fine for a game like SL today. I always play on wifi with no issues and im currently playing via a tethered 4g LTE connection which is still 30mbps down and 15mbps up with 2ms latency.

Also screen size has nothing to do with resolution, i have a 7" 720p monitor and a 23" 800x600 CRT, big screen, low res, looks awful. Small screen, decent res, looks ok. Most phone screens are now 720p or higher, flagship smartphones (besides apple) are 1080p/1440p+.

Dont spread misinformation you got off ancient resources from the early days of SL, they do not apply at all anymore.

On 1/28/2018 at 7:01 PM, starflitz said:

Should I buy the cell phone application for Second Life and be able to be fully function as I would on a desktop?

Please note that the Phone application for SL can eat through your battery very quickly. you would be recharing your phone quite often.  i would recommend a laptop instead be used instead of the phone viewer.  plus you will not get full functions at all and it is most likely best to be used with 3d off and in chat mode.

but if your goal is to just chat with friends in SL, then you can get discord for free and add your friends so you can do text chat, voice chat or video chat for free and on a system that is designed for gamers so it's quick.

good luck with your search

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.