Looking for test area with sim crossing

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm looking for some land I can use to test region crossing issues for vehicles. What I need is:

• Two adjacent parcels in different regions with building permission on both sides.
  • Enough space for a 64m x 8m road on each side.
  • A busy sim with some lag and many avatars. (This test works fine in an empty sandbox.)
  • Just a few days of use.

See

for the goal here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, animats said:

I'm looking for some land I can use to test region crossing issues for vehicles.

You're welsome to use my land at Buttermere, Keswick, Langdale, Coniston and Windermere. Just contact me inworld so I can give you permission to rez. I have several public rez zones there but I suppose you need more than the 5 minute autoreturn limit.

There is no room for more roads on the ground but there are already several roads crossing sim borders there and if they won't do, there are always sky platforms.

I don't know if the sims are crowded and laggy enough for your use, you have to decide that for yourself. I try to keep the place low lag but it is a complex build with a lot going on. The number of avatars varies a lot depending on the time of week and day.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

You're welcome to use my land at Buttermere, Keswick, Langdale, Coniston and Windermere. Just contact me inworld so I can give you permission to rez. I have several public rez zones there but I suppose you need more than the 5 minute autoreturn limit.

There is no room for more roads on the ground but there are already several roads crossing sim borders there and if they won't do, there are always sky platforms.

I don't know if the sims are crowded and laggy enough for your use, you have to decide that for yourself. I try to keep the place low lag but it is a complex build with a lot going on. The number of avatars varies a lot depending on the time of week and day.

Thanks. I checked out the road crossings at  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Windermere/0/98/39 and http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Buttermere/1/160/37 but neither is a good location for high speed vehicle testing.  Both are narrow roads with turns. This needs some straight-line open space and a road modified near the sim crossing. The idea is to build a road with some overlap, and drive over it fast with various vehicles in a heavily loaded sim. This test works fine in empty, near-idle sandboxes, so the next step is to try it in a loaded one.

Skyboxes are an option, but I'd rather do this at ground level. It's simpler.

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

@Animats, have you thought about using air vehicles such has as helicopters? You should have the same challenges and no road is required.

Air vehicles don't have the problems of road vehicles. See my linked topic on Vehicles vs. sim crossings for more info.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.