terrain waterfront

gez12

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2363 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, gez12 said:

got waterfront mainland renting but terraining is hard trying to lower and flatten hilla nd that stays stuck hmm bit of it does

the +/- on nearly all mainland parcels is +4 and -4

Terraforming limits:

Most mainland can be raised/lowered by 4 meters (+/-).

Some mainland cannot be terraformed, including: Bay City regions, Boardman, Brown, De Haro, Horizons, Kama City regions, Nautilus City regions, Nova Albion regions, and Shermerville regions.

Linden Homes do not allow terraforming.

A few, very old mainland Regions like Da Boom have a terraform range of 40 meters (+/-).

Estate (private island) terraformability is settable to a maximum of 100 meters (+/-) by the estate owner or managers.

2 hours ago, gez12 said:

im on a sailable area

mainland is mainland, covered with water, rocks or grass, sand, snow... type of terrain is just cosmetic.

the list , will quote it here.. is from the wiki and explains it all

3 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Terraforming limits:

Most mainland can be raised/lowered by 4 meters (+/-).

Some mainland cannot be terraformed, including: Bay City regions, Boardman, Brown, De Haro, Horizons, Kama City regions, Nautilus City regions, Nova Albion regions, and Shermerville regions.

Linden Homes do not allow terraforming.

A few, very old mainland Regions like Da Boom have a terraform range of 40 meters (+/-).

Estate (private island) terraformability is settable to a maximum of 100 meters (+/-) by the estate owner or managers.

Trying to guess why a bit of a parcel won't terraform. Certainly adjacent parcels can affect it as suggested, and I'm not sure but I think I've seen this effect be extra unpredictable next to region borders. Also, if you completely revert the entire parcel you may discover that the original terrain is more "stepped" than you'd expect because the continents were created with fairly rough height increments.

My terraforming plans have sometimes been foiled because stuff was rearranged by Moles. The LDPW often must terraform to install roads, etc. (without installing a whole new RAW map for the region), and that may give the illusion that a height is achievable on adjacent land when it's not.

Oh, and there's also "rippling" of the height map. If you terraform an abrupt height transition somewhere, a bump or pit is apt to show up nearby. The more gradual the transition the fewer and less dramatic the "ripples."

Edited by Qie Niangao

1 hour ago, gez12 said:

so would be better if it was flat really i guess the land

Not necessarily. I mean, if the neighboring land isn't flat, then making your parcel flat would mean a transition from the adjacent terrain, and the more gradual that transition the less "ripple effect" will result.

What I usually do on a new parcel is Revert the whole area completely, then identify where there's a big difference with the neighbors' height (that means they've terraformed a lot). Those spots I try to make level with the neighbor for a few meters in from the edge. Then I look at what's left and design the terrain I want for a build, which sometimes extends that neighboring level, and sometime instead requires a smooth transition to some other level I want. This Smooth transition tends to minimize ripples.

I've noticed, though, that a sheer, perfectly rectangular flat-bottomed pit (e.g., a swimming pool) seems to ripple less than a curved, more gradual shape. The slightest deviation from a straight edge, however, and I got extreme ripples again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2363 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.