What's the best laptop to run Second Life on I use Firestorm viewer?

MrJokerrrr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I might be a new laptop because the one I have isn't good. I know laptops aren't good for using Second Life but the one I currently have is a HP laptop beatsaudio and the screen isn't big the length of the screen is just less than an A4 paper. So I need a better laptop that runs SL better and the biggest screen I can get. Any suggestions?

8 answers to this question

27 minutes ago, MrJokerrrr said:

I might be a new laptop because the one I have isn't good. I know laptops aren't good for using Second Life but the one I currently have is a HP laptop beatsaudio and the screen isn't big the length of the screen is just less than an A4 paper. So I need a better laptop that runs SL better and the biggest screen I can get. Any suggestions?

i think you should look at your budget. Nobody here can see what's in your wallet.

Don't expect miracles from a 300/400 dollar/euro machine.. you'll have to multiply that amount at least with 2 for a medium, and even above 900/1000 for a real gaming machine.

If you'r budget is lower, go for a refurbished machine, or a desktop.

Also... when you only talk about the size of the screen you'll need serious guidance in rl for buying a new machine.

It's not about size, but what it has under the hood.

You need a high end dedicated graphics card, enough memory, ánd a fast processor.

1 hour ago, MrJokerrrr said:

I might get this one "Acer Predator 17.3 In 16GB 128GB 1TB GTX1050Ti Gaming Laptop" 

That would be a good pick. A modern mobile I series processor and a 1050ti will handle SL fine. The 128gb ssd will also help for SL's cache, reducing loading times in places you've already been.

I have read about some specific issues with 1050 graphics cards and SL that sounded pretty dire. Since I don't have that card and have no issues I wasn't paying much attention to the exact model but a search of these forums would be good before buying OR perhaps someone that DOES remember can add a comment.  I think there is a JIRA on the problem. 

17 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I have read about some specific issues with 1050 graphics cards and SL that sounded pretty dire.

I read a bit about this and the issues with items not loading or staying grayed out wasnt due to the 1050's, it was due to a large number of people buying laptops that had 1050/1050ti's in them, but their only drive was a 5400rpm 1tb HDD. So they were seeing extremely slow cache issues. This wont be a problem with OP's choice, as it has a 128gb SSD as its main drive.

I also cant actually think of a way that a specific modern GPU would cause any performance problems, 10 series are all pretty much the same thing on slightly different fabs.

23 minutes ago, cykarushb said:

I read a bit about this and the issues with items not loading or staying grayed out wasnt due to the 1050's, it was due to a large number of people buying laptops that had 1050/1050ti's in them, but their only drive was a 5400rpm 1tb HDD. So they were seeing extremely slow cache issues. This wont be a problem with OP's choice, as it has a 128gb SSD as its main drive.

I also cant actually think of a way that a specific modern GPU would cause any performance problems, 10 series are all pretty much the same thing on slightly different fabs.

Thanks for adding that to the thread.  :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.