More of a question for a community rep, because I don't know where to stuff this.

Meia Cosmos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is more of a question for a linden or a community representative, and I had no clue where to put it, so sorry if it's in the wrong place. I'm a member of second lifes militart combat community(Yay don't I sound all fancy) and there was something a friend of mine told me long ago, that never came to be because of lack of community involvement (We're an overly dramatic community, you see.)

But yes, the question is about the validity of it, and if indeed it's possible to do at all. As I recall, it was described as a community outreach program where if a community showed enough interest, or signed a pretty petition, or similar, it were possible for Linden labs to donate sims (Or atleast something to this effect). The friend I mentioned wanted to get something like this done for the combat community, a dedicated combat continent where people could just go at it over a persistant area and just go nuts without being ilmited to a single sim. I'm a bit old school (Not older than a good deal of folks, granted) and I was at the tail end of the "Mainland war" Era where combat groups would own parcels on the mainland and go and attack eachother from accross the grid. Now it's all islands and drama and blah. (Granted the drama and blah was there before.) I just think this idea of making a dedicated combat continent was AMAZING and would love to see this happen. But I fear it may never come to be, but am curious if it is at all possible.

Sorry again if it's in the wrong place~

I personally don't see LL ever "donating" land to any one community, if they did they would have to do so for every community because each community would then demand it. If your community is that involved as you say, then why not get the community to donate the land? You can have each member donate his/her land allowance to a group. Or better yet if your community is that involved then you all can pitch in the money to buy your own private sims. Just a thought or two. 

That's the thing. All of us own (or atleast, most of us, some rent) Own our island simulaters. This could just be an old forgotten outreach program, or I could be misinformed, but I remember atleast one community getting a donation. I'll post the name when I can remember it worth a damn.

Meia Cosmos wrote:

That's the thing. All of us own (or atleast, most of us, some rent) Own our island simulaters. This could just be an old forgotten outreach program, or I could be misinformed, but I remember atleast one community getting a donation. I'll post the name when I can remember it worth a damn.

If you all own your own sims, LL did change the rules a while back so that sims with different owners can be joined together, so you could ask LL to join all your sims and you could make your own continent. :)

You should speak to the Concierge, because I believe they arrange it so that you have certain windows of time where you can all move the sims for free to build communities.

wow, it's been so long since I heard about the endowment program I'd forgotten it....

to my knowledge none of those endowment programs are active anymore, although there was a competition a few months to a year back to allow for a limited time land endowment for development.

those programs were pretty rare to begin with and had strong competition for the limited slots available. I'm not aware of any active ones for a while now.

PS
I'm not a community rep, just a resident who's been in SL for a long time. don't let the icon fool you.

The program you're probably thinking of was called the Community Partnership Program and was detailed by Blondin Linden in this blog post.

I don't know if the program is still active, but the last CPP area I know of to go live was the Chamonix City winter sports sims last year. They are a collaboration between the Global Online Hockey Association (GOHA) and LL. Me being a GOHA member I may be a tad biased but, I think it's a great destination if you're a fan of hockey, skiing, skating, ski jumping and more to come soon. If you get a chance take a look at Chamonix City and see just how nicely a joint venture between LL and resident groups can work out.

Edited because I got Blondin's name wrong... :smileysad:

Meia Cosmos wrote:

But yes, the question is about the validity of it, and if indeed it's possible to do at all. As I recall, it was described as a community outreach program where if a community showed enough interest, or signed a pretty petition, or similar, it were possible for Linden labs to donate sims (Or atleast something to this effect). 

That was the Community Partnership Program (CPP). Sadly, though there were a couple interests that did join the CPP (the Hockey folks of GOHA and the Burning Man crew, who later struck out on their own), the program has since been shuttered since sometime around the great layoff and cutback period of last Summer.

Shame. I'd probably be more bummed if I didn't know the combat community would never actually band together long enough to organize it anyway. Then there are the drama wars...then regulating the continent without bias... Yeah. Guess it wouldn't work anyway. Thanks for the replies guys.

Meia Cosmos wrote:

Shame. I'd probably be more bummed if I didn't know the combat community would never actually band together long enough to organize it anyway. Then there are the drama wars...then regulating the continent without bias... Yeah. Guess it wouldn't work anyway. Thanks for the replies guys.

Welcome! I know a couple other community who were also keen on the CPP process, most notably in aviation and railroading.

It was indeed the Community Partnership Program.

We did see the program placed on the back burner last June. I've still been working with GOHA and the USS and some former Community Gateways as needed. I've also been working on revamping the program and hope that at some point in the future, to bring it back and start 'officially' taking in new community groups.

However, the program is not about donating land. We've done it in the past with the Blake Sea but a community interested in the program should be able to show that they are able to collaborate and grow on their own.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.