can walk through furnite

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 hours ago, Hunter Stern said:

Turning off collision (making the item phantom) also prevents updates of said collision (walking into from a physics based entity, being your avatar) data being sent to the server , thus reducing lag.

The collision event is still sent, and still detectable in script. Phantom or not.

@Chic Aeon I've no idea what notifications you got, but I just used your post here to experiment with. I'd already 'liked' it, but I thought I'd try a test.

I checked your score and then I removed the 'like'. I refreshed the page and noted that your score didn't go down. That's the same as before we got the 'reactions' recently, so no change there. Then I 'liked' the post again and refreshed the page. Your score went up. So I've 'liked the post twice now and increased your score each time :)  I don't think we could that before.

Now I'm going to check if adding another reaction also increases the score.... It doesn't. We can only make one reaction to a post. We can change it but we can't add to it.

Edited by Phil Deakins

10 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I can imagine 2 reasons why people make/made such stuff. One is to keep the prim count/LI down, and the other is to demonstrate how skilled the creator is by making such a beautiful pieces that use only 1 prim - ego. Both cases are stupid, imo. There never has been a compelling reason for regular furniture to be phantom or to launch avatars.

I think there is possibly a third reason for a creator to make their furniture phantom and that is simply personal preference.  As long as the furniture is modifiable, it can be made unphantom easily.  If phantom furniture is such a horrible thing to contend with for someone they can always go demo said furniture before  purchase or ask to demo it if there is no demo inworld and if the creator won't take the time to let you demo it, then it's really not worth getting anyway IMO.

Also, I don't see why someone being proud to show that they can make a beautiful item for only one prim is considered having an ego.  If someone puts time, effort and care into something they do whether it be building, emoting, etc., they should be proud of it.  To me, having an ego would fall more into the acting like your sh**t don't stink or you're better than everyone else, but that is just my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HaileeTempesta said:

Also, I don't see why someone being proud to show that they can make a beautiful item for only one prim is considered having an ego.  If someone puts time, effort and care into something they do whether it be building, emoting, etc., they should be proud of it.  To me, having an ego would fall more into the acting like your sh**t don't stink or you're better than everyone else, but that is just my opinion.

Sure. It's good to show what you can do, but NOT at the expense of making phantom that which should be solid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HaileeTempesta said:

I think there is possibly a third reason for a creator to make their furniture phantom and that is simply personal preference.  As long as the furniture is modifiable, it can be made unphantom easily. 

The purchaser can untick the box for phantom, certainly --- but you forgot the issue of the PHYSICS MODEL which is why most creators make their items phantom in the first place -- the lack of a viable one :D. That isn't going to magically appear. The results of unticking "could" be reasonable and then again it could be a nightmare and the furniture might STILL be "phantom" because there is no decent physics model. 

17 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

The collision event is still sent, and still detectable in script. Phantom or not.

yes, in script with detect mass I believe , as well. I don't recall updates (through debugged indicators that are seen coming from the avatar or object upon contact) as visible when walking through an object. There was recorded behavior infact of object mass becoming corrupted (Solid objects) when an avatar or other object passed through or was placed inside the object. It would then become phantom and would not regain the attributes to change back to solid after even in manual edit. This was generally seen in cases with floors in prim buildings.

On 8/29/2017 at 2:49 PM, Phil Deakins said:

Phantom furniture as a norm is a new one on me. Perhaps the phantom idea came about because of sculpties and mesh. I do remember being "launched" when standing up from a sculptie chair I was creating. I wouldn't have such a thing in my store, so it didn't get made in that form, and setting furniture to phantom is a ridiculous idea. I was going to type "imo" at the end of the previous sentence, but it's ridiculousness is self-evident, and nothing to do with my opinion. What I find astonishing is that people put up with it, which is what it sounds like. To be perfectly honest, I've never heard of such a nonsensical thing in SL - until now.

Phantom furniture, houses, parts of walls, cars, etc are super annoying. I've bought a few items off marketplace that were like that and trashed them instantly upon finding out. There's no point in doing that. So sometimes you get "launched" a few feet in the air when standing up...who cares.  Id rather get launched by my furniture than walk through it lol

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.