Need Wings3D Sculpty Models Plug-in

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thank you for you your useless response. As I stated, the link to the plugin on the wiki is broken. The wiki is useless without the plugin. 

Your need to make useless posts is truly disgusting. I’m assuming that “Advisor” title is based on the number of (probably useless) posts you have made and not on giving any actual assistance.

I’m just wondering why you had to be a jerk rather than just helping someone out? That information is not on the main page for it. The only link provided doesn’t work. If you knew that was there, you could have been helpful but you decided to a jerk instead.

8 hours ago, Boq Beauchamp said:

you could have been helpful but you decided to a jerk instead.

Here's some helpful info then. You're probably not going to like it though.

• The Wings3D sculpty plugin only works for mesh grids with the vertice list sorted in a very specific order. There used to be ready made templates for it but as far as I know they are not avavilable anymore so you will have to make one yourself.
  • The modern(ish) sculpt system supports 28 different grid sizes and configurations but Wings3D can only handle the original 32x32 vertice setup.
  • Wings3D produces oversampled 128x128 pixel sculpt maps rather than proper 64x64 pixel ones. Now, even the best sculpt maps can be rather laggy and prone to render failure and should be used with care. But oversampled sculpt maps are sheer Evil and also surprisingly resistant to conventional remedies like Holy Water, silver bullets and wooden stakes. The only way to purify them is to force them through an image editor and scale them down.
Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

May I politely suggest that at this point in SL it's quite possibly worth learning how to make mesh instead?

That's very good general advice of course but I still think sculpts have their place in SL even today.

It's not easy to learn how to make good SL meshes and a well made sculpt is better than a poorly made mesh. There are also some rare occasions where sculpts are better even than well made mesh.

We got mesh about five or so years ago I think. Whatever I try to write will be corrected so I'll just leave it to the experts here.

If you've been inworld in the last few years, much of what you might reasonably have assumed was sculpted was mesh. In my opinion, it's worth the effort needed to get to grips with a 3d software program like Blender.

10 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

We got mesh about five or so years ago I think. Whatever I try to write will be corrected so I'll just leave it to the experts here.

If you've been inworld in the last few years, much of what you might reasonably have assumed was sculpted was mesh. In my opinion, it's worth the effort needed to get to grips with a 3d software program like Blender.

Yes, I do think that's the case. I haven't been a heavy user in 7 or 8 years so I think when I have visited more recently, I assumed they were sculpted prims. Now I understand why the guides are out of date! Thanks everyone! I will use meshes instead!

• Like 1

In the Edit window, look at the box where the sculpt map would go. If it's blank/not there and it doesn't say sculpt or give a prim shape, it's mesh.

Some people sell mesh components that can be used to build with - texturing mesh will largely be easier but otherwise it should be similar enough to old school prim/sculpt building. Some people sell mesh that's a whole piece to be textured. Some people sell textured mesh to use in your builds. Etc.

Big thing to watch out for with sculpts and tortured prims is LI (land impact, the new 'prim' measurement for land). Doing much of anything (like adding scripts or linking to mesh) can skyrocket the LI ('prim equivalency') for sculpts and tortured prims. Just something to watch out for, especially if the parcel you're building on is running out of prims/LI.

The Builders Brewery group is still going strong. Helping Haven is good for classes too. Worth checking out what both places have on offer. Good luck and welcome back. :)

• 1 month later...

Blender tries to do everything, which makes it hell to learn. Get it anyway. I use Wings3d myself, but I've had glitches with the Collada export. So I export from Wings3D in Wavefront (.obj) format, import that to Blender, and export from Blender in the Collada (.dae) format. There are things that Blender can do which are pretty useful, but they can be hard to find. Import and Export are in the file menu

SL will notice the hard/soft setting on edges, but it looks as though the SL render engine does some strange things to the mesh to handle that. A hard edge is turned into two adjacent edges, and a mesh cube would become six squares.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.