Streaming music

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Ina Fairport said:

Op de tweede machine draai je dan VDJ en daar ben je ook ingelogd op de server.

klopt, en alhoewel alles kan crashen, is het risico met SL altijd wat groter. Als je crasht op dezelfde machine heb je dus grote kans dat ook je stream plat moet als je reboot.

Het heeft ook als voordeel dat je VDJ geen storende programma's heeft, kijk maar bij de handleidingen, daar raden ze ook aan om VDJ helemaal stand alone te laten draaien.

bijv alle systeemgeluiden uit en geen achtergrondprogrammas als email en browsers...

Een tweede voordeel, je kan zowel SL als VDJ volledig in het zicht houden met twee monitors.

Het kan even wennen zijn met twee muizen/keyboards :)

28 minutes ago, Ina Fairport said:

Hebben jullie nog tips wat een handige headset is voor een DJ ?  Draadloos of beter van niet ?

gewoon met kabeltje :)  usb of mini jack, hoe minder poespas, te minder kans op storingen.

Ik heb zelf een paar jaar een microsoft lx3000 gebruikt ... voordeel van deze, er zit een schakelaartje aan het snoer waarmee je de mic kunt muten zonder dat je in vdj hoeft te klikken met je muis of conrtroller, en een volumeregelaar voor de muziek.

Maar vrijwel iedere headset kan voldoen, je kunt ook een senheisser kopen voor 7 of 800 euro... maar als het alleen maar voorbeluisteren en/of voice over is, zou ik gewoon een dingetje van een paar tientjes max. aanschaffen.

16 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

gewoon met kabeltje :)  usb of mini jack, hoe minder poespas, te minder kans op storingen.

Ik heb zelf een paar jaar een microsoft lx3000 gebruikt ... voordeel van deze, er zit een schakelaartje aan het snoer waarmee je de mic kunt muten zonder dat je in vdj hoeft te klikken met je muis of conrtroller, en een volumeregelaar voor de muziek.

Maar vrijwel iedere headset kan voldoen, je kunt ook een senheisser kopen voor 7 of 800 euro... maar als het alleen maar voorbeluisteren en/of voice over is, zou ik gewoon een dingetje van een paar tientjes max. aanschaffen.

Ok, dankjewel. Morgen even naar de Mediamarkt :)

Na een week tobben en worstelen met VDJ heb ik het eindelijk voor elkaar. Of het nou aan mij ligt of aan VDJ weet ik nog steeds niet maar ik werd niet goed van het eindeloos gehannes met VDJ.

Ik heb vanmorgen Mixxx geïnstalleerd en binnen 15 minuten had ik het spelend en helemaal gratis !

I guess the best advice I can give is;

(a) Save up and get SAM Broadcaster and

(b) Seriously price-shop your stream provider

(c) Save up for a *good* headset with mic if you're going to voice DJ

(d) Grab a sound-manipulation program (Audacity is free) to cleanup any audio that needs it or adjust gain levels. I also use it to create custom advertising, bumper music, rejoins and so-forth.

(e) Have an extensive and good-quality music library - or be prepared to download on the fly. By "good quality" I mean consistent gain-levels and no "audio junk" that sometimes comes with things downloaded from  YouTube in addition to the song itself (audio commentary).

Pricewise, SAM is up there (you CAN catch sales on it) but it's the most user-friendly DJ program I have used (I started with Shoutcast/Winamp) and it's great for adding Requests and modding playlists on the fly. It's also awesome for adding iTunes content. It also has countdown counters that tell you exactly how long your last song has still to play; invaluable when handing off to another DJ seamlessly.

There are a ton of resources and YouTube tutorials on SAM as well.

We're not supposed to advertise much, but you can do a lot better buying stream-time inworld than you can paying RL streaming companies. If you check Search for "stream providers" you should see some hits, or IM me in world.

I have a Sennheiser headset that I got on sale and I love it :) Having a headset with a good mic (and amp) will also help you avoid "mumbling DJ syndrome"

Edited by AmandaKeen
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2017 at 3:54 PM, Alwin Alcott said:

test it by opening it in a mediaplayer or browser

that you hear it is no proof the stream is really working.

Using SAM I can disable monitoring the direct-audio from my stream and only listen to what comes over the SL connection; that way I am hearing what the guests do.

2 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

I guess the best advice I can give is;

(a) Save up and get SAM Broadcaster and

(b) Seriously price-shop your stream provider

(c) Save up for a *good* headset with mic if you're going to voice DJ

(d) Grab a sound-manipulation program (Audacity is free) to cleanup any audio that needs it or adjust gain levels. I also use it to create custom advertising, bumper music, rejoins and so-forth.

(e) Have an extensive and good-quality music library - or be prepared to download on the fly. By "good quality" I mean consistent gain-levels and no "audio junk" that sometimes comes with things downloaded from  YouTube in addition to the song itself (audio commentary).

Pricewise, SAM is up there (you CAN catch sales on it) but it's the most user-friendly DJ program I have used (I started with Shoutcast/Winamp) and it's great for adding Requests and modding playlists on the fly. It's also awesome for adding iTunes content. It also has countdown counters that tell you exactly how long your last song has still to play; invaluable when handing off to another DJ seamlessly.

There are a ton of resources and YouTube tutorials on SAM as well.

We're not supposed to advertise much, but you can do a lot better buying stream-time inworld than you can paying RL streaming companies. If you check Search for "stream providers" you should see some hits, or IM me in world.

I have a Sennheiser headset that I got on sale and I love it :) Having a headset with a good mic (and amp) will also help you avoid "mumbling DJ syndrome"

Thanks a lot for your usefull tips !

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.