AlexandriteGem

Blocking a Griefer's Public Chat in Firestorm

Question

I am on FS64 5.0.1f os. After blocking and derendering an avatar, I can still read him in chat. How can this be avoided to have the individual completely blocked?

7 answers to this question

If you mute a person, you will not be able to see text chat,  receive IMs, or hear voice chat from the person.  If you can, then you are not receiving messages directly from the person at all.  You are probably hearing him through a relay.  So, locate the relay by right clicking on the name in your chat window (the relay object in this case will have the same name as the person you muted).  The object's location should show.  Find it and mute it the same way you muted the person.

Thank you, but I am confused. 
I block the person, hit the derender blacklist option, that avatar disappears but I can still read him in chat. 

I do not understand what a relay is

2 hours ago, AlexandriteGem said:

I do not understand what a relay is

An object owned by the person that is designed to hear what the person types and then repeat it automatically.  That way,  the message comes from the object to you, not from the person directly to you.

EDIT:  I misspoke.  If you mute (block) a person, you also mute objects that the person owns, so the relay cannot be owned by the person who was annoying you.  However, it could be owned by anyone else ( a partner in crime? ).  It's just like using someone else's bullhorn or PA system to talk through.  You can't just mute the person.  You have to mute the bullhorn too.

Edited by Rolig Loon
Clarification

All?  You said there was " an avatar ", " the individual ".  You never mentioned more than one.  Even so, it doesn't matter whether there's an army.  If each person has a relay object, you can hear each of them.  Mute the whole lot.  (Or simply go somewhere else.)

• Like 1