Some Merchants....

Kuda Oh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To those concerned,

Do you really need to keyword spam? REALLY???? So annoying. Amazing how many things not related to a sub category appear in lisitngs. IE: Building Components I can find lots for rent, houses, skyboxes, demo's for stuff other than building components.

Keyword spamming merchants should just be banned from marketplace.

Agree, but the Commerce team could, I imagine, give more weight to item name than keywords or features, and instantly have more relevant results. Since their priority atm is Search, I am hoping they will do this -- and also create a separate search field for creator and store names.

Kuda Oh wrote:

To those concerned,

Do you really need to keyword spam? REALLY???? So annoying. Amazing how many things not related to a sub category appear in lisitngs. IE: Building Components I can find lots for rent, houses, skyboxes, demo's for stuff other than building components.

Keyword spamming merchants should just be banned from marketplace.

Two important points. First of all, the words you search for may very well be included as part of one of the fields they index. For example, if you search for "red socks", the search results you get back will contain everything that has "red" in the title, features or keywords. The merchant might not be spamming .. they may indeed be using the words properly in the proper places. However Search on the Marketplace doesn't search for phrases (as any reasonable search engine would), so you get noisy, mostly useless results.

Secondly, if you examine the keywords used (View Source) and determine that indeed the Merchant has put many unrelated and intentionally misused words in their keywords then you can Report the listing and specify the reason as Keyword Spam.

Here is an example of the keywords entry in the source from one of my listings:

<meta name="keywords" content="slideshow,slide,show,slides,shows,snapshot,snapshots,texture,textures,display,sequence,flipbook,gallery,keepsakes,catalogs"/>

Each merchant should now and them go through the category identifying the misplaced items and report them. It can well be that the merchant doesn't know it is misfiled in the wrong category.

Before reporting the merchant should be sure it is misfiled, knowing the category list.

That way we as merchants make SLM better accessable for the customer.

@Darrius

That does make sense on some items, though in my example what does skyboxes or houses have to do with building components? I am talking about fully built textured and sometimes completely furnished houses and skyboxes; not building components to make said items. The oddest stuff shows up at times lol.

Kuda Oh wrote:

@Darrius

That does make sense on some items, though in my example what does skyboxes or houses have to do with building components? I am talking about fully built textured and sometimes completely furnished houses and skyboxes; not building components to make said items. The oddest stuff shows up at times lol.

I'm not disputing that some merchants spam or purposely attempt to game things .. cuz I've seen examples of it too. I'm just trying to make sure that folks take all due care before aiming their gun at someone else.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.