Add an "over the shoulder" camera preset as an option?

lucagrabacr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just think it would be a good idea to have it as an option since I know that a lot of people are used to this kind of camera style from many games (I know SL is not a game, but that's not the point) that uses this camera style, and for good reasons (it makes things look more personal / cinematic?). I believe Black Dragon viewer has this option, and Firestorm / SL default viewer can be tweaked in the debug settings to have this kind of camera style (I made my Firestorm camera style similar to this but without the off-center characteristic), but it would be nice to have it as an option that we can choose simply by clicking a button. It might improve the user experience for people who are new to SL and prefer that camera style but don't know about 3rd party viewers or how to tweak the debug settings. :)

Edited by lucagrabacr
fixing incomplete phrase / sentence
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Debug settings... there's 3 settings for camera placement "front" Rear" and "group" / "side", and 3 more settings for the camera targets, so you can have that over the shoulder look if you want.

Yeah I know, mentioned that in my post. The thing is most people won't even know it's there or it's possible, so I'm thinking it would be a good idea to have it on a push of a button.

13 minutes ago, seanabrady said:

I for one would take it a step further and like to see the over the shoulder view be the default view instead of an option. It is a better all around view of things and encourages more realistic scale in buildings.

Yeah sure, lets just completely redo the UI abd settings of every TPV, and everyone who uses SL, and change everyones default cam view to whatever because *some* people prefer it after playing "Calll of Honour Zombie Slaughter Heros Celebrity Teamplay Deathmatch IV" on their Sontendsoft Playcube Two, and never mind that many of us LIKE not having our head fill 40% of the damn screen.

Pretentious Fascist-RP-Bigot Imersive-Cam should ALWAYS be optional.

And as for realistic scaled buildings... yeah like that's going to work, when peoples avatars tend to be in the 6-8 ft range, having doors only 6 ft 6 inches tall will be really practical, sorry you are too tall to enter this building... The Fascist-Height-Bigots from the "Campaign for Camoflaged PaedoBait" (...yes it's true, if your avi is over 5'1" and is more than an A- bra cub size, you broke your avi and need tech support, no really...) will LOVE that I'm sure.

Frankly there are better things to waste programmers time on in SL than adding a default new button for "Minority-Cam"

17 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Frankly there are better things to waste programmers time on in SL than adding a default new button for "Minority-Cam"

I'm sure it won't be that hard or time-consuming for them considering it's possible already by tweaking the debug settings, and black dragon viewer even did it. I believe it would be a nice optional feature to have for those who prefer to use it. The lower FOV also makes things look more immersive / cinematic to some degree, so it might help SL "look better" to some new people who's trying SL for the first time, especially the kind of people I mentioned in my original post.

49 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Actually...No programming needed. Just a minor setting change. We all have opinions on how things should be by default. 

That kind of camera control can be provided by HUD available freely on the market place, no need for a N-th client modification.

I fail to see the interest of that kind of camera anyway, they often get annoying and fail to catch the action because they lack the intelligence to know what action IS.

Edited by xydave76 Oller

Someone posted in the forums suggested camera values. I entered them and my whole SL experience changed for the better. I didn't even know how badly I needed this until I chanced upon it on the forums. I'll never go back. 

I agree. It's very obscure. Sure, it's easy enough to change, but I think the average newcomer has so many things they are confused about, that FOV is really far down the list, if it's even on the list at all. It would be really cool to be introduced to some presets during a tutorial. Press a button and BAM you have some cool presets. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.