Blender how do I get rid of this red and white circle?

ZozaTech

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What you are pointing to is the 3D cursor. It isn't stopping you from moving or rotating anything. Left clicking with no command active relocates that cursor. In the Properties panel of the 3D window is a section labeled 3D cursor. Setting X,Y,Z values to 0 returns the cursor to its default position.

The cursor is used in scaling, rotation, and movement if, and only if, you set it as a pivot center, see icons at the bottom of the 3D window.

The cursor is a handy shortcut for various tasks. The menus in Edit Mode under Mesh->Snap-> are choices to move the 3D cursor to things or things to the cursor. It allows you to precisely place things in the scene.

I suggest you learn how to use it. If you MUST turn it off, hamstring yourself, I suggest whiteout... AFAIK know it cannot be hidden. It can however be disabled: User Preferences>Input>3D View>3D View(Global)>Set 3D Cursor(clear the check box).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The cursor is automatically the center point when you use the spin (alt R) or the screw command - both actions reside as "buttons" on the left hand palette under "tools". 

The cursor is where any objects (mesh, curve, empty, etc.)  placed into the scene are centered on when you add them in either edit or object mode.  For example,  If you are adding an empty to the scene that you wish to use as a center (axis origin) for a modifier, position your cursor where you want to add that empty.

As already mentioned, it is often very helpful to use the cursor, rather then the median point of an object, as a pivot point for move/scale/rotate transformations.  Shortcut: Shift S - gives you a number of options (cursor to selected, cursor to active, cursor to grid, cursor to center)  to accurately place the cursor where you need it to be.  (And, again, for general transformations using the cursor as the pivot point  you will need to select the cursor as the pivot choice (shortcut:  keyboard period (.) - to access the pivot point pie menu or select from the drop down menu from the menu bar for the3D View window.)

• Like 1

Learn the keystroke Shift-S.  Then select 'Cursor to' somewhere else....

I have to do it a gazzilion times every minute, 'cos I can't train my fingers to move from blender to SL and back again.

(Note to self: learn how to set up custom keystrokes, and set one for 'Cursor to Centre')

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.