Can't get anything to work, really

AntonTrask

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Have patience with me, please.  I don't do much with my computer besides Facebook and message boards.  I don't usually download things that take up much space, just photos.  Supposedly the stuff to make SL function downloaded, but who knows.  I click on a "Destination" to go there, to check it out, my computer asks if I want to give the site access, I say yes, then nothing more happens.

All this is obvious stuff to anyone who plays games on computer I suppose, but I don't.  Please someone let me in on what I'm doing wrong.

Conifer Dada wrote:

The request for site access is usually just for a music stream.  Click yes and the music will start playing.  Most places you visit the music stream plays automatically but I've recently come across one or two places where you get that access message first.

that has not much to do with the place, but with your own preferences settings.

If you disable the music/media filter you won't get that pop up .

AntonTrask wrote:

I click on a "Destination" to go there, to check it out, my computer asks if I want to give the site access, I say yes, then nothing more happens.

Hmm... I wonder if you could elaborate a bit on where you're seeing this "Destination" on which you're clicking, and maybe on the specific wording it uses to ask for access to the site.

Maybe, I'm thinking, you could be clicking on the Second Life "Destinations" web page, before the SL viewer program is launched. Or maybe the "Destinations" shown on the viewer's splash screen, before login (in which case, find the place to enter your name and password, and press "Log In").

On the other hand, you may already be logged in and having problems with the World / Destinations window, which takes you to the same in-world places as the others, but is further along in the process, so different errors may arise (possibly including streaming media, or other stuff altogether) but my hunch is that you're getting stuck at an earlier step.

AntonTrask wrote:

Have patience with me, please.  I don't do much with my computer besides Facebook and message boards.  I don't usually download things that take up much space, just photos.  Supposedly the stuff to make SL function downloaded, but who knows.  I click on a "Destination" to go there, to check it out, my computer asks if I want to give the site access, I say yes, then nothing more happens.

All this is obvious stuff to anyone who plays games on computer I suppose, but I don't.  Please someone let me in on what I'm doing wrong.

Welcome to Second Life Forums, Anton

Did you actually download the Second Life client - the software that will allow you to log into Second Life world itself?  If you are unsure, please scroll to the bottom of this page, and read along the black margin to the right hand side, and click on the option to "Download Second Life". It does take a fair few minutes to go through this process, and you will get the option to have an icon placed on your desktop screen, which will make it easier to log in, rather than from the website Destination guide (if that is what you were trying to do - forgive me please if I have misunderstood).  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.