Is there a company or service to get help making my avatar nice?

SatinRibbon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

I would put the Maitreya body away in the closet for a little while.  First, learn how to optimize your "classic" avatar.  This will take some practice and patience.

You can start with any of the classic avatar shapes in your inventory, or if you want, there are many shapes for sale.  If you buy a shape, be sure that it is modifiable.  One very inexpensive way to go is to get a set of the free "Standard Mesh Sizing" shapes.  Here's the Marketplace link: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Standard-Sizing-Package-Updated-Male-Female/2894727

Use the Appearance/Edit Shape menu.  Work primarily with the head and face sliders, since you will eventually be using the Maitreya body anyway, which will hide your classic body.  Experiment until you find "your" face!  Save your work frequently.  I name my shapes by date, like "Lindal 12162016".  After you've made some adjustments, leave it for a few days, then come back to look again with fresh eyes.

Lots of us edit ourselves off and on for several months before finally settling on a look.

While you're doing that, collect a lot of freebie or low cost clothing.  Try on outfits, and save the ones you like.  Use subfolders to keep your inventory organized!

It depends on what you consider "nice".  If you have a Maitreya mesh body, most of the work has already been done for you.  Because it is a mesh body, you cannot change its size or shape.  You could apply a different skin, but it already has a good, professional skin.  You could shop for different hair, and you can certainly use the appearance sliders to modify your face (unless you also bought a mesh head).  And, of course, you can shop for clothing and other attachments to accessorize yourself. 

All of those are things that almost all residents learn to do themselves.  It's part of learning how to live in SL but it's more than that.  It's about discovering your own identity.  You could probably find someone willing to coach you on some of the finer points -- just post in the InWorld Employment forum and see who responds -- but IMO your appearance should reflect what you feel, not what some hired designer thinks you should look like.  Most people I know have spent years tweaking their own appearance, letting their avatars mature as they explored more options and became more skillful.  You can do it too ... honest.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.