Some kind of scam?

Talligurl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i don't know if this is something that is going around or of it is just something random that happened to me, and I also am not sure what the point was, but I thought I would share and maybe someone would have some thoughts. 

i got an IM from a friend, a friend by the way who had recently returned after a long absence, She had been back about a week when she sent this message, claiming someone sent her a picture on Facebook, and told her to show it to me to prove that they meant business and so I would do what they want. She said she didn't know who they were or what they wanted, and didn't have the 10L to upload the picture so she could share it with me. Eventually I gave her the 10L, and she shared the picture, It appeared at first to be my SL dashboard.logged in from some other computer. Eventually I realized it was a scam because my dashboard lists my display name, but on the picture it said talligurl's dashboard, and not the display name. When I told her I knew it was fake she said she just found out from a friend how the person did it, some trick that lets you change the wording of any web site. That was the last I heard of her.

So I have no clue what she was trying to do, just have some fun or something more sinister, I don't know if others have had something like this happen, maybe that lead to more serious issues. I guess I am just cureosity as to everyone's thoughts

The trick that lets you change the wording is called Photoshop. (Or GIMP or any photoimagining software with a Text function.)

Sounds like your friend's account has been hacked (after long absence) and someone is trying to scam the friends list. Probably best to AR your friend and say that you think the account has been hacked. It will probably feel weird, but it's better than letting someone cause trouble in your friend's name.

Bitsy Buccaneer wrote:

The trick that lets you change the wording is called Photoshop. (Or GIMP or any photoimagining software with a Text function.)

Could be even easier and more automated than that, modifying the page's html and then rendering the modified html. In fact, it's doubtless also possible to then generate what looks like a screenshot without the renderer ever pushing the pixels into a real browser window at all. The idea being to generate countless spoofed "screenshots" in minutes.

Oh Wow, I hadn't even considered that my friendmight have been hacked and that the person talking to me might not have been her, but that makes sense as a possibility. Unfortunately she is a SL friend only, nit really any way to contact her outside of her SL profile. The page was changed with that HTML thing not photoshop, I still am nt sure what they thought they might accomplish by it. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.