Safer way to buy lindens?

NightXFallz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm asking this because.. I had PayPal hooked to my bank account 

And I bought lots of countless prepaid cards and added them to PayPal so I could 

Spend money on my avatar, 

Any ways like 3 months later I get a bill over $700 to my bank account -_- guess I should've 

Double checked the writing but that's paid off now and I would still like

To shop through secondlife . But I'm never adding my bank  account to here again learned my 

Lesson LOL .. :(

Is there a alternative way to get lindens ?  I read some of the other threads talking about a ..

Greendot  card from walmart? 

Skrill.

Is there some other way you have made online purchases, other than what you have mentioned  LL offers, that you would like to use for buying Lindens?

All I have ever used on the Internet is PayPal or credit card. 

I still don't understand what is the lesson you learned from connecting your bank acct with LL. Is there something different about LL, compared to other online vendors?

As far as I've heard, most pre-paid cards will not work as a direct payment method in SL - you need an actual credit card or a verified paypal or skrill account. 

After you added the other card information to your paypal account, did you set one of them as the primary default source (instead of your bank account) for payments to second life?  I have my bank account as well as a major credit credit card connected with my Paypal account, and have the primary payment method set to the credit card, so I don't have any unpleasant surprises with my bank account.  Another thing I do is maintain a small balance in my Paypal USD balance - this is always used first by PayPal for payments, not matter what your primary payment method in Paypal is set to.  

It sounds to me like the issue is more about how you are managing and have things set up in your Paypal account.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I gather you used PayPal as your payment info on file and loaded up your PayPal cash account using prepaid credit cards that PayPal accepts.  You then proceeded to spend money in SL.  You didn't read the fine print of PayPal and spent more than you had loaded which resulted in charges to your bank account for the overages and fees being charged to you as a result either by PayPal or by your bank or both.

This has nothing to do with the safety of buying Linden's.  It has more to do with controlling your own spending and the responsibility that you had to shoulder for your actions. You are now looking for a way to protect yourself from a repeat.  

Prepaid cards, even branded ones like Greendot, Visa and MasterCard, are not accepted by LL.  Since you refuse to add your own regular credit card to your SL account, there is no option for you except a VERIFIED PayPal or Scrill account.  To be verified either of these accounts must be backed by a credit card that is accepted by these services and/or a bank account that pays instantly if you don't have enough funds in your services cash account.  

Unfortunately, that brings you back to square one.  There is no way for ANY spending method that LL accepts that will protect you from yourself.  Only self discipline will do that.  

That doesn't mean you have to give up your avatar.  It does mean  keeping track of and checking daily how much money you are spending (maybe even checking before you buy anything)  and stopping when you have reached your budgeted amount OR just removing all payment info and enjoying SL without spending which many people do all the time.  You could also consider getting a job as a club host or something to earn a bit of SL spending money.

I've had my bank card linked to my account for almost ever, I've NEVER had an issue with it. If I have the money, it goes through, if not, it's denied, simple! There has never been an erroneous charge, there's just never been a problem! Maybe I'm lucky, but I don't think it's a problem laden system! (Also, it's a bank issued debit card, and has always worked) I guess I'm not sure what the problem is??? 

$700 is about L$179,200 give or take a few.

There are only 3 official ways to get game tokens

• Verified Paypal account
  • Verified Skrill account
  • Proper (not pre-paid/gift) Credit Card

There is NO way to use pre-paid cards unless you hack it, and those hacks do sometimes bounce back on you, which means you pay paypal back from your own money.

Likewise unless you remain a NPIOF (No Payment Info on File) resident there is no way to hack in pre-paid cards to hide your real life name and address from the Lab.

There are no "safe" ways of buying Lindens outside these three. If the lab detect it the TOS lets them do nasty things if they want.

I've got all three linked to my account, and have had the credit card and paypal linked for almost 10 years. One thing can be said for the Lab is that they are very good with security on money issues.

At one time Greendot was accept but no longer.  PayPal or Skrill may, but not LL.  Here are the current payment methods accepted from the knowledge base.  All cards listed must be regular credit cards.

You may use the following payment methods with Second Life:

• Visa
  • American Express
  • MasterCard
  • Delta Online (non-U.S. Residents only)
  • JCB
  • Diners Club
  • Discover (U.S. Residents only)
  • Visa Electron (non-U.S. Residents only)
  • PayPal
  • Skrill

When I need to buy Lindens, I put my credit card/ debit card info in, get the money, and then delete the information. That way you can still buy what you need without your account getting compromised. A merchant told her group that a while ago after her account was compromised, and I have been doing that ever since.

I was not aware of the issue with prepaid cards and PayPal - that is definitely something to keep in mind.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.