Social island 3!

KamikazeLenna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Bring it back to us , pls! I miss the old times in this island, i made a great couple of friends in there and nad a lots os fun, and now with the fact of the islands are gone makes me feel depressed a little. I literally don't know what to do in SL without the old island, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee give it back to us!! the old tiki beach, the welcome point.. ohhh godddddd sweet old memoriessssssssss.

If the islands were not used as much as LL wanted to see, it makes sense to eliminate one.  LL is not obligated to continue to run a sim for free just so a few people can continue to hang out there.

There are still other Social Islands that are identical to that one.  Go to one of them, if you miss the place.  

If you made friends on 3, just decide which one your going to hang out at now among yourselves.  You'll probably make new friends at the one you choose as their probably are different people that hang out there. 

Really.  I'd have a really nice nest egg by now!

@SaturdayGeeks

No one said SL was going to last forever, that's always been a fact since even the early days.  But, as long as it's profitable for LL it will be around and people will still be here.  You don't need 100,000 people online when you are.  I had a great time in SL when there were less than 10,000 online at one time and there were only two mainland continents.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I had a great time in SL when there were less than 10,000 online at one time and there were only two mainland continents.

There's a huge difference between 10,000 and rising and 10,000 and dropping but you have a good point. One of the great things about a grid based virtual reality is that it's scaleable.

Yes, there will be fewer and fewer people and fewer and fewer sims in Second Life. That means less money for content creators creating new content and less money for Linden Lab to develop and maintain SL. And of course, SL will be more and more outdated. There doesn't seem to be a way to stop that development now and Linden Lab has given up - Ebbe has been quite clear about that. But SL will go on as long as LL doesn't loose money on it and there are Lindens and users passionate enough to carry on. We had SL13B this year, expect SL25B to happen before it's all over.

Sim death isn't a bad thing in itself actually. It's better that the grid size adjusts to the actual need at any given time than to keep lots of sims nobody has any use for.

Back to topic:

There is no way LL will revert to the pevious newcomer entry system. Even if the current system turned out not to meet its expectations, they'll rather try something new than go back to the old.

However, it is possible they can be persuaded to open up a Social Island somewhere else as a sim on its own right. They've done that with many earlier entry systems so why not?

where??

I went to all the social islands and they all changed... now they look more like a newbie helping platforms than a social spot for hang out and fun. The old ones used to have a central area for chatting and meet people, a portal area where we used to talk in voice chat and play gestures, a nice beach and a dancing club. I miss all these things and i want them back.....now most of my friends are gone.

Alwin Alcott wrote:

there are thousends of places for that on sl

I've told you a million times you shouldn't exaggerate!

But yes, there are lots of social meeting places in SL. But I don't know of any that are as well made as the old Social Islands and that is why I think it could be a good idea to reinstall at least one copy of that build, not as part of the introduction system (and without the portal park, please!) but as a general infohub/socializing sim.

Over time LL has moved and rebuilt several other old sims of much lower quality than that just to keep them here so why not?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.