Fly or no fly

Amiryu Hosoi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been to stores with no flying where it wasn't a problem, but then the store was usually small. If it wasn't, I got frustrated. I often walk, even in larger areas, but there are times when I'm in a hurry and not in the mood to walk all around a sim to find something. I'm more inclined to fly when the store is an open area, like with houses and gardens, than when it's a closed-in shop. If I see a waterfall for sale halfway across a sim, odds are, I'll fly over to it.

Map-TP is only useful if you know where on the map you want to go.

Some newbies won't know how to get around a no-fly rule. For a long time, I was fuzzy on how to get out from under things without flying, like when I TPed in and ended up under the floor.

Shockwave wrote:

If you make it more difficult for a customer to get somewhere, then you make it more difficult for them to spend money.  It's as simple as that.

The first rule of business: "Never do anything that gets in the way of the sale."

Fly can be overriden anyway by activating the Admin menu by the way, but not all know that. 

I wouldn't limit and frustrate visitors if not strictly needed. I just don't allow weapons, biting, nudity and building. But I prefer having my visitors decide themselves how to explore my store since it basically is a 3D browser.

Since you don't know all your visitors, chances are some will be irritated or even frustrated. I do hate no-fly myself. Specially for shopping it is often used to speed up movement  / aka 3D browsing. Fly is one of the wonders in SL. Why take that possibility for easy movement, and thus a tad higher chance of better sales away in SL. It doesn't sound logic to me.

Personally, I would not disable flying. If you have to on the RP parts, maybe, but definitely not the store. My store is actually not really conducive to flying, but people still do. Some people, never touch the ground. It is 1 of the features that LL actually promotes. Every1 knows you can fly in SL, even Drew Carey.

Not letting people fly, is just going to piss people off. Heck, If I see I can't rez, I'm gone.

I'm not personally concerned with how you run your business.  I'm merely answering your question about what I like and don't like.  And a mall which lures me in and then makes it difficult to a) get around the mall or b) leave the mall, just annoys me; that's all.

And I did give a suggestion how to incorporate the fun aspects together with the shopping aspects by adding the freebie boxes to the exploration areas, thus encouraging people to explore them more thoroughly.  This also encourages those who don't have the time to do anything but shop to come back later when they have more free time.  Also, those who are just having fun are likewise exposed to the stores that they wouldn't be otherwise.  If you do this, drop me an LM because I would like to see what you've built.  I'm a busy guy (hence my shop and run approach) but I'm always game to see what my fellow creators have created.

Well, a friend of mine created a lovely sim, and turned off flying to force people to use and explore all the interesting areas she had made. I repected the flying ban even though I knew how to easily fy if I wanted to.. It forced you to look around and notice things. But I'm funny like that, I tend to walk while shopping anyway - it gives the images time to rez and stops me smacking my head into walls :)

But she got so much grief from lazy people wanting to be able to fly in the end she gave up and let people fly wherever they wanted. I don't think it had much affect on weekly sales figures, just made the whole sim laggy so people would get fed up and leave.

I think its best to give people on shopping trips the option of rezzing in the actual shopping area, and role players to rez somewhere else. A good teleport network to specific shopping areas is a good idea too, so if I want women's shoes I can just TP there by clicking on a signpost rather than having to search for them. If you can teleport close to where you want to be I don't see the need to fly. Most people fly when shopping because steps have been badly designed so can't be used easily by taller avatars, they are frustrated becasue the shopping area is badly laid out, or they can't figure out how to get to different levels.

From personal experinence if I have to resort to using the map, I will probably give up and go somewhere else to shop, as lets face it, the map doesn't work very well for most people.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.