How can I become a model??

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've never been a model myself or wanted to be, but know a few as friends, did some work for an organization with models as clients, and put on a few fashion shows.  The below is what the models told me and what I observed about it.  Its a long post but I think you should be fully informed of what you are getting into.

First be aware that you very rarely are paid many $L's for modeling if you are paid at all.  Only a few very well known models have a chance for that and many are expert photographers too so they can take their own pictures.  Most models do it for free or they get to keep their clothes they model.

Second, being a model is expensive for you.  You have to have several top quality skins and shapes, a lot of different hairs and also accessories like jewelry, shoes, etc. to wear with the clothes you model.  You also need a top quality modeling AO.  YOU have to pay for these for the most part.  You will also need a portfolio of pictures of your avatar in various clothes, skins, shapes etc. to show different looks.  Unless you are a photography expert, again you'll have to pay someone for this.

You might, but rarely can you get model jobs on your own.  Sometimes a shop will hire a model independently, but most use bots now because robot avatars don't require payment of any kind and always are at work. Occasionally a magazine that is just starting out might hire you but pay you little or nothing.  Don't pay attention to model jobs offered in Events search because they mostly are shops wanting you to buy their stuff with no real jobs to offer.

Most models only get runway work or get hired by magazines.  They are generally with agencies that fashion show directors and magazines work with or for to get their models.  Know that sometimes a model agency will require you to be at least a certain avatar age.   When you go with an agency, they mostly require you to take their modeling courses, which you have to pay for and aren't cheap, even if you took courses at another agency.  Then many times they will tell you exactly what you must buy for your skins, shapes, hair and accessories as well as who must take you pictures for your portfolio.  In the end, most model agencies will not guarantee that you will get ANY work and if they do, don't believe that it will be anytime soon or you will get lots of jobs unless you are extremely lucky.

I don't want to discourage you  but being a model in SL requires a big cash outlay on your part with very little chance you'll make the money back in $L's or goods.  Most models do the work because they love it and are willing to spend the cash to get what they need, certainly not to get rich.  NO model ever gets 'famous' in SL either, at most they may become well known inside the fashion industry.  Further, a tag over your head that says you are a model rarely impresses anyone outside fashion circles.  After all, anyone can make a tag that says they are a model if they have a group and anyone can look like a million dollars if they have the cash.

You can inquire at various agencies to see what age they require, what they offer and how much their courses are now.  You should also learn the SL ropes and familiarize yourself with the various magazines and fashion designers to prepare yourself if you decide modeling is for you.

Hi Onix: I think the first poster answered the question pretty well, but I wanted to add that you might want to look through the old forum archives for posts on the subject "I want to be a model." The topic seems to come up frequently.

You might also want to read the Second Life fashion blogs that are out there - just google "Second Life Fashion" . This will give you some current knowledge of fashion.

Good luck!

you might want to try starting out as a CSR (customer service rep) for a inworld shop

they will help you get started, and you can maybe make some little money doing it. Once get some experience of this then will start to create a inworld resume, which can lead to bigger things

two shops that I know of right now that are looking for CSRs are NoName and GeMyles. Is probably others as well, is just I got notices from those two asking if anyone wants to apply

Onix1997 wrote:

I will love to find a model job...but have no experience and too young on SL, what can I do?

#1. Age in SL means nothing. A dumbass 5 years old is a dumbass now.

#2  Try to be vaguely intelligent. This is going to immediately set you apart from the rest. If your only skill is clicking on a poseball then you're competing with every 400lb trailer park momma within internet distance

SkillsFurrystorm wrote:

#1. Age in SL means nothing. A dumbass 5 years old is a dumbass now.

#2  Try to be vaguely intelligent. This is going to immediately set you apart from the rest. If your only skill is clicking on a poseball then you're competing with every 400lb trailer park momma within internet distance

ooowahh!! thats pretty aggressive !!

what runway do you fly off from ??

(:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.