Newbie Quesions

CSMRetired03

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For those, who've been on SL for some time these questions may seem stupid.  But, here goes.

1.  How does one change clothes.  I've been wearing the same duds for three days.  I'd like to perhapse improve my image?

2  How does one modify ones physical appearance without having to go through the entire setting up an avatar sequence?

3. How does one gester and otherwise seem exressive? I just stand almost like a statue when not walking.

4.  Am I the only one finding it difficult to get members of the opposite sex to engage in normal conversation?  Is there some secret handshake or something?

Welcome to SL.  I'm pasting some links to pages that provide detailed answers to your questions.

CSMRetired03 wrote:

For those, who've been on SL for some time these questions may seem stupid.  But, here goes.

1.  How does one change clothes.  I've been wearing the same duds for three days.  I'd like to perhapse improve my image?

This is how to change clothes for a traditional avatar, If you have a mesh avatar it is different. I wouldn't recommend you get a mesh avatar until you know more of the ropes.  

I'm including this because a lot of clothes and avatar accesories come in boxes

2  How does one modify ones physical appearance without having to go through the entire setting up an avatar sequence?

3. How does one gester and otherwise seem exressive? I just stand almost like a statue when not walking.

Wearing an Animation Overrider will make your avatar move much more naturally.  the ones that come with the starter avatar aren't good.  You purchase these, just use search to find shops that sell them and demo them before you buy.

There are free AO's available but they have far less animations in them and the quality is not that good because either the animations aren't or because they repeat frequently.  However you can use one until you are able to buy one.  Search MarketPlace for them.

4.  Am I the only one finding it difficult to get members of the opposite sex to engage in normal conversation?  Is there some secret handshake or something?

Finding friends in SL is a lot like RL.  Unfortunately a lot of experienced avatars won't give you the time of day if you look and/or act like a newb.  Go to places you find in search that are newb friendly hangouts, New people are more likely to be seeking friends too.  I made my first friends in SL doing this and those friends and I had a blast exploring, finding things and growing experienced together.  I still after 10 years maintain friendships with a number of them.  You can find mentors too at lot of them that can answer your questions and help you with your avatar.

Note that most women will not want to date you until they get to know you and have probably heard every cheesy pick up line there is  Be natural and be yourself.  Don't expect love as, although people have fell in love in here and even gotten married in RL, SL is not a dating service.

Work on getting your avatar together and learning the ropes in SL.  Take classes on anything that interests you, as you may find friends with common interests in class.  A lot of classes are free and many cover topics related to SL such as building, scripting, land etc.  Builders Brewery, Oxford Cambridge University and NCI are just a few of the many places that offer them.  Use search to find these places to check out what they offer and when, and also look in Events too.

Use these forums, the knowledge base, the Answers section and the SL Wiki as learning resources.  YouTube also has a lot of videos that teach things about SL.

Most of all welcome to SL.  SL isn't easy at first but if you stick with it and learn you will be in for a great adventure and enjoy your SL.

Since the other poster answered your primary question, i will answer your secondary question.

You can tell the difference between a mesh avatar and a standard system avatar by looks. Mesh avatars typically have more detail and the angles of a mesh avatar aren't as blocky as a standard avatar. Also, when they rez, they often rez in parts, where as a standard avatar will come in quickly and usually as one piece unless the avatar is wearing an alpha which hides certain body parts.

Search is in the viewer and also on your dashboard.  If you are in world, use the one in the viewer.  Click the magnifying glass icon on the tool bar.

A mesh avatar is worn over the the regular avatar which is hidden by an alpha layer.  Look in your inventory and type 'worn' in the search if there is no tap label that says worn (this depends on the viewer you are using).  It will show you everything you are wearing. 

An alpha should be called that and the icon looks like a shirt with a grid pattern on it.  A mesh avatar will be an object and the icon looks like a block.  It will be called by the name of the mesh body.  Mesh clothes on the starter mesh avatars also are objects and are worn with alpha layers and are generally called, pants, shirt etc..  So if you see you are wearing a lot of objects and alphas, you probably have a mesh avatar.  If you see you are only wearing clothing that are objects, you have the regular avatar.  You may not be wearing any mesh clothes btw.  Just clothes that have icons that look like pants, shirts, underwear etc.

Thanks again.  You knowlege of the SL world is amaing.  I am extremely impressed.  Now if I can learn to change clothes, be more expressive in movement and figure out how to make physical contact so I can dance with someone like Ive seen others, it will be great.  Once again thanks for your help.

There are many good YouTube videos that help SL newbies. Unfortunately there are also many Troll videos & poor quality videos. Here's a good one about how to modify your avatar from a starter mesh avatar. You don't have to spend alot of money to customize your avatar, btw. There are plenty of free or almost free items on Marketplace. Search Marketplace & filter your search from Lowest to Highest price to find free items, low priced items, & free demos.

This video shows how to join store groups inworld to get free or almost free group gifts for customizing your avatar. When you find a store you like, it's a good idea to join their group for group gifts & announcements. Most groups are free to join, but some have a small join fee to help the creator pay expenses & keep out spammers. (Note the Fab Free freebie area shown in this video doesn't exist anymore, but they still have a great blog for SL freebies.)

Fabulously Free in SL

Here's video that shows how to wear mesh clothes.You can wear mesh clothes with a standard or a mesh body, but you can only wear standard system layer clothes on a standard body. Once you wear a mesh body & the alpha layer that comes with it, your standard body will be hidden beneath it.

Here's a good video from Daria of Mesh Body Addicts about how to use a mesh body, which helps explain the differences between a standard body & a mesh one. Basically mesh bodies are a bit harder to use, but they look much better than standard bodies once they rez completely. When they're not completely rezzed, they can look like parts are missing. If you're interested in buying a mesh body, the Mesh Body Addicts website has great reviews & comparisons for most of them.

If you're not ready to buy a mesh body yet, you might consider just getting mesh feet, since the feet on the standard bodies are pretty ugly & many stores now make shoes for mesh feet. This video looks pretty good, but the voiceover is in Russian. There are links in the description to inworld shops, though.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.