Can i make a suggestion to the Sl to maybe make a scheduled maintenance, maybe once a week on Sunday

Alycat71

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Maybe it would be helpful if Sl programmers do a once a week scheduled maintenance?   Maybe on a Sunday, instead of these unscheduled maintenance, There are people who work on sl.  So please, is it possible to do a once a week maintenance?   Battle net does it and we all expect it to happen on a particular day, so we don't play on that day.   So much less stressful to the sl community, I think.   if anyone else agrees please feel free to reply. 

6 answers to this question

This is not a discussion site.  If you want to debate, try the General Discussion forum.  In the meantime, consider that "unscheduled" means "emergency".  You and I can't plan emergencies.  Linden Lab can't either.  If the alternative to "fix it now" is "wait until Monday morning", most of us would rather have the Operations team fix it now.

• Like 2

Yes, you can make a suggestion to the Sl but you can't make it here since nobody working there will read it. This is strictly a users-trying-to-help-other-users forum.

If you want to make a feature request, go to: https://jira.secondlife.com/

In this particular case, however, as MrBill already said, they already do regular scheduled mainetnance every week, Tuesday or Wednesday depending on what kind of server the sim is on. And as Rolig pointed out, emergencies can be a bit hard to schedule, they happen when they want to happen and often at the worst possible time.

Of course we could discuss whether the SL servers are up to the task these days, there seem to have been quite a lot of breakdowns recently. If you want to start that discussion, you can do it at: https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/bd-p/SecondLifeServer

• Like 2

The clue is in the word "unscheduled," I think.

This doesn't mean that LL's engineers have found themselves with nothing to do late one afternoon and decided to fill in the time by doing some non-urgent work.    It means something's gone badly wrong -- one of the servers has gone offline or something -- and they're fixing it as fast as they can.

What you are saying is, in effect, that if something goes badly wrong then they shouldn't bother to fix it until the weekend, and until then people should just put up with not being able to teleport, or use their inventories or make in-world purchases or whatever the problem is.

I don't know if you read LL's Tools and Technology blog  but, if you do, you'll see that they have started posting explanations of why particular unscheduled maintenance sessions have been necessary.   I would imagine that, some time over the next few days, they'll post something about the most recent problems -- which started, if I properly calculated it, at around 5pm on on Friday afternoon in San Francisco, which can't be anyone's preferred time to start performing "unscheduled maintenance" at work.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2875 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.