If I become a premium member, can I sell my tier?

lanceheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2889 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi everyone,
Noob here. If I go premium, I like the value of getting paid 300L per week with annual membership but I really don't need a house or land. Is there any way I can sell my premium tier or is that ok from TOS? Ie: I read in the forums I can donate my monthly premium land free tier to a group, if the members pay me lindens for reducing their RL money tier, is that legit? Would people even do that? I know the alternative is being a landlord but not sure I want to buy land and rent it and I know you can't rent your linden home. Thanks in advance for any advice.

3 answers to this question

"Tier" isn't something that you can sell.  In fact, it doesn't even exist unless you own land.  "Tier" is a level of liability for land use fees.  So, if you own up to 512 sq m of land on the Mainland, you have a tier liability of $5.  As a Premium member, you have a waiver that offsets $5 worth of liability.  (If it helps, think of what happens if you own land in RL.  You will get a property tax bill from the city that is proportional to the size of your lot.  If you have an exemption of some kind -- as a veteran or a homesteader, for example -- your exemption offsets some of that tax bill.  If you don't own land, so you don't have a tax bill, your exemption is pointless.)

If you don't intend to use your land fee waiver at all, I don't see much point in having a Premium membership.  You might as well downgrade to a Basic membership and save yourself the cost.  The other benefits of Premium membership can be handy, but their monetary value is much less than the cost of membership..

there are groups inworld that give you a little fee when you set your free land "tier" to their group.

It's not really sell it, but it's a way for a group to get higher sqm for a lower price than upgrading their tier level in the accountpage.

And you have a little pocketmoney for it.

• Like 1

You could buy a 512sqm lot on the mainland and rent it out to take advantage of the free tier you don't use.  You may want to put a low prim building on it or a skybox as someone renting such a small low prim place is likely to be a newb. 

Of course too there is the cost of the land itself, which is not free, and you may or may not recoup that cost as keeping it rented may be a problem depending on location and how nice the home is if you put one on it.  The better the location the more it will cost you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2889 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.